Fifty-Two.

I had to say it.

I looked pretty darn incredible, I almost fainted.

Okay, that was a little exaggerated, but my mom was right—I did look beautiful, and for once in my life I didn’t mind wearing make-up and a pair of heels. They were low, anyway.

A wave of excitement, nervousness and tingles crashed down on me. My heart hammered inside my chest, and I was pretty sure that the redness on my face was just not the doing of the blush that my mom expertly swiped across my cheeks.

My hair was bunched up around my neck and was swept to one side in a clean bun, while small ringlets adorned my forehead dramatically. The feathers added a nice touch. With the dress on, the overall effect was fabulous.

“Colby would be speechless when he sees you, I guarantee it,” my mom said proudly.

“Yeah, I’d say,” a new voice piped up. Both my mother and I whirled around, and a broad smile almost split my face.

Matty smirked, and shook his head. “Who are you, and what have you done to my little sister?”

I rolled my eyes and I ran towards my brother, who caught me in a hug. He let out a groan, but nonetheless held me against him. He planted a quick, soft kiss on top of my head, and I squeezed his torso in response.

“You do look beautiful, squirt,” my brother said as he let me go. “I was wondering why no one was answering the door. Should’ve figured out that you two were playing dress up.”

My mother shot Matty a look, but she went over and hugged him, too. “It should have come to your realization too, my dear son, that helping your sister get ready for her prom is much more important than opening the door for you.”

“I just got back, and already you’re ganging up on me,” Matty complained, but his playful smirk said that he was just joking around.

Just then, the doorbell rang, and I almost jumped out of my skin. There was an increase in my heart beat once again, and I turned to look at the clock. It was ten minutes to seven. My mom let out a hoot, and raced to the door.

“I’ll get it,” she beamed. “You gather your things, Kayla. Don’t forget the lipgloss!”

With that, she was out my bedroom, while I was on the verge of hyperventilating. I shook out my hands and they suddenly felt clammy as I stuffed some money, tissues, powder and lipgloss inside my small purse.

“I suppose that’s lover boy?” Matty commented, leaning against the door frame and crossing his arms. I almost laughed at his pose, but my stomach was suddenly attacked by very, very wild butterflies, and that mixture of emotions I felt a while ago intensified, particularly the nervousness. I didn’t really know why, but I was so nervous.

I nodded and turned back to my bag, wherein a stuffed more tissues inside, which I didn’t think I needed really, but I just needed to do something.

Two warm hands rested on my shoulders, effectively stopping them from twitching.

“Hey,” Matty said softly. “Don’t be nervous. You’re beautiful, squirt.”

That made me feel better, but not very much. I was still fidgeting, and the butterflies were still partying in my stomach.

“Oh, for crying out loud,” Matty said, his tone incredulous. He whirled me around, grey meeting silver, and I paused at the intensity laced with concern evident in my brother’s eyes.

“You. Are. Beautiful,” Matty stressed. “You’re going to stun everyone. And you’re going to have fun tonight, with your friends and with your boyfriend. Got it?”