Him and Me- Twenty Six.

Just like that, a week had passed. Classes had been going smooth. Colby and I were placed together as volunteers in class. According to Mrs. E, she placed Colby with me because I was the one volunteering for the longest and would be the best to teach Colby how to get around. Frankly I thought Colby talked to Mrs. E for him to be placed with me, just so he could avoid Fiona.

So far, it seemed to me that Colby didn’t need my help at all. He had been doing a fantastic job with the kids. Jill was responding to him very well, as all the other kids in our class. It was such a pleasure to watch, and I felt my heart be filled with joy at every smile, laugh, and response he generated from the children.

It was almost like watching my dad with the kids.

Colby had been known now as Mr. Clown, and sometimes me and even Mrs. E call him that. He didn’t seem to mind. In fact, he already accepted the name.

He didn’t wear the clown suit anymore, though. I had to take a mental note to remind the kids to ask Colby to wear it again. He wouldn’t be able to say no.

I smiled as I recalled the events this past week. It was such a good thing that the first week of classes went by without much hassle. All the kids had been behaving quite remarkably. The classes lasted for a month, and I hoped that the good string would continue for three more weeks.

Me and Colby had been returning to the diner every day. And every day we saw the same group of people—the elderly couple, the old pals, and Aaron. The kid was still a bit shy towards me, but he was slowly loosening up. He said he hadn’t done what Colby had told him yet, but he was planning to do it anyway. Aaron said he might even get help from his mom, and at that his normally pale face turned red. He certainly was one of the cutest boys I’ve ever seen.

I never wanted to be a cheerleader, but I was one for Aaron. That adorable kid. I really wished he would be able to gather the courage to talk to the girl he liked, and prayed that the girl would not reject him.

Colby and I encouraged Aaron, and we were set to next week to track his progress. I had to admit I was nervous for him, but I was excited as well. I couldn’t wait to see and talk to the kid again.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and I was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching Matty play Guitar Hero. He looked to be such in a deep concentration, it was ridiculous. I found myself laughing discreetly at his courageous attempts at the expert level of Psychobilly Freakout. He could barely complete that song on the easy level. When his fifth attempt led to failure, he growled.

“What a stupid game,” Matty complained, removing the guitar strap from his shoulder before slumping into the couch next to me.

I bit back a laugh. “How could you even try that song at the expert level? You know it’s really hard even on the easy one.”

He huffed. “I’m always up for a challenge.”

“Right, and after the fifth failed try you give up,” I replied with an eye roll.

Matty just frowned at me, before reaching over the coffee table for a bag of chips. He opened it and took a handful, shoving it into his mouth. I wrinkled my nose.

“You should really learn how to eat properly,” I commented.

His response was to grab more chips, shove them in his mouth, and chew loudly.

How mature.

I was about to tell him just that when I heard my phone buzz on the coffee table, making vibrating noises as it shook against the wooden surface. Leaning over I reached for it quickly, knowing that the idiotic mind of my brother might think of reaching for my phone as well. True enough, judging by the slightly annoyed look on his face and his semi-outstretched arm, I was right.