Preface

A/N: Hi! It's been a long time since I've touched this story; I haven't been on this website at all in years. However, I still get notifications from time to time about people "liking" this story. That's pretty surprising. I was thinking it over recently and decided it's finally time to go bad and fix everything. That way I can show how much my writing has improved. A lot of this story is going to be changed, which means those who have already enjoyed it can have a chance to enjoy it again. It is also going to be a long and slow process, so please be patient. As before, the characters obviously aren't mine. I'm just using them to writing fanfiction. This story also contains themes of violence, bad language, sex, etc. This is your warning. -Jules (2021)

 If I had a heartbeat, it would have been reverberating off my ribs like sticks against a war drum. A loud, repetitive cracking to signal the oncoming disaster. Even in the dark, I could see the red war paint smeared across his blanched lips, the same lips I kissed every day for over half a century. He squinted with wild eyes and growled low as I took a step closer. The blood, also on his chin and shirt, was already drying. The small body behind him was still as a toy, and it was as though it had never had a soul to animate it. I thought it was an animal. Another step caused a branch to snap under my barefoot. His growl turned into a loud hiss. That, matched with his haunched back, made him appear like an angry jaguar. "What did you do?" I whispered, my jaw taunt. His lean body coiled like a spring, ready to attack. "What did you do?" I repeated, my voice rising.

My husband's neck twisted at an inhuman angle, and he opened his mouth wide enough to show me his sharp teeth before snapping it shut. "Hun...gry..." He gurgled through the blood and venom spilling from his lips. He lunged with outstretched fingers and dirtied nails. One of his nails caught on my cheek as I dodged him. With his back pinned against another tree, preparing for another attack, I took the opportunity to meet his victim.

I had seen the worst of Jasper before, but this was a new low. The body was mangled, with small arms twisted like a Barbie doll in a way humans don't bend. Small hands peeked out from under a small, pink coat, and a small teddy bear lay abandoned a few feet away. I covered my mouth, a metaphorical sickness coming over me. If I had a heartbeat, it would have stopped. If I were human, I would've screamed.