Chapter 8

I just wanted to thank all of you for supporting me and this story that I am truly blessed to be writing. The reason this is such a blessing for me is because this story touches you... and that has been my goal from the start. I am so very thankful. God bless! (: <3 

-------------------------------------------

"Um, excuse me?" I'm reading the back of the famous "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld as I walk over to the employee at the Barnes & Nobles Sadie brought me to. 

"How can I help you?" I glance up at the guy in front of me, his cool tone throwing me off as I read over the reviews. 

I take in his icy blue eyes and black hair first. The contrast could almost be considered blinding, that's how light his eyes were. The red in his lips was such a deep color against his pale skin and his black hair was a mess atop his head, reaching just above his furrowed eyebrows.

"Um," I put the book down on top of the other books I have in hand. "I can't find Pride and Prejudice anywhere. Could you please help me?"

This store was bigger than our entire Church.

"Sure." He nods and motions with his long fingers to follow him as he gets up from stacking books on to the bottom of the teen fiction shelves.

Gosh, this guy is tall I think as I follow his tall frame down multiple isles.

He stops almost at the end of the long aisle we have turned in to and runs his fingers over the spines of the books until he finds the book I've requested. He takes 'Pride and Prejudice' off the shelf and hands it to me with a small smile on his lips that doesn't reach his eyes.

I can't help but feel a sense of relief as I grasp the book tightly in my hands. "Thank you so much!" I grin up at him despite his not so enthusiastic smile.

"Are you English?" He asks suddenly.

I hug the books to my chest, "Yes, I just moved here from London." I've been getting the same question ever since I moved here, which was quite interesting because I'm not used to people gushing over my 'accent.'

"You have an accent." He states. His arms are crossed over his chest and his eyes are no longer hard as they were when I interrupted his ... Book-stacking.

"I do." I can't help but laugh at the coincidence. "For me, it's everyone else with the accent, though."

"So, shouldn't every English person have a copy of 'Pride and Prejudice'?." His eyes are dancing with amusement.

"Uh, no." I think of Ann and how she hasn't read it no matter how many times I've pushed the book into her hands. "I had a copy, I just accidentally dropped it in water."

While I was taking a bath I add, but I wasnt going to tell him that. I cried for half an hour over my precious book that I had received as a present from my Dad on my fourteenth birthday. I started blow drying and that helped, but the pages were all ruined by the time I finished. I immediately called Ann, as I always do in case of a crisis, and she told me to just get a new one. It wasn't that easy. But what else could I do? So I asked Sadie to show me the book store she promised to take me to.

I look over at the guy in front of me again when a soft chuckle leaves his lips. His lips pull in to a real smile this time and he shakes his head full of black hair.

"What?" I can't help but ask the tall boy.

"You need to take better care of your books." He smirks at me.