Dream a Little Dream - Dream 17

Dream 17

Susan woke up to the feel of her hair being brushed away from her face. In her half dream state, she felt Jack sitting on the side of her bed. Her hand went down to the small baby bump of the child they had created and smiled as she opened her eyes.

But instead of Jack, Jacob was sitting in his place. With a small smile on his lips and a sad look in his eyes he asked, “Did you rest well?” The sliding door was still open and the sound of the beach and the crashing waves was very relaxing. Susan stretched her arms over her head relishing the feel of the muscles that had grow tight in sleep begin to loosen and relax.

For the first time since waking, she looked at Jacob, really looked at him. She didn’t understand the sad look that lingered in his eyes and for a moment wanted to ask, but then she noticed he was dressed in a nice shirt and dress pants. His hair was freshly washed and still a little damp. “I knocked,” he said softly, “but you didn’t answer.” He looked towards the blue water and the birds flying in the air over the sand below. “I hate waking you up, but I’ll be going down soon.”

“What time is it?”

“A quarter til six. I knew you were tired.” Jacob’s small smile comforted Susan in a way that felt natural, comfortable even. The ache in her heart of finding Jacob sitting there and not Jack, wasn’t as strong as she thought it should be, and she felt guilty betraying Jack. Then the time Jacob said hit her like a cool shower.

Susan sat straight up. Looking at the clock, she was in shock that she had slept for three hours! “Miss I won’t sleep that long was really tired! You looked so peaceful, I hated waking you.” Jacob brushed a strand of hair back off her cheek and Susan felt his fingertips linger there longer than she should allow, but she didn’t stop him.

“How was your swim?” She asked trying to distract herself from the feelings she felt deep in her soul. No, this could not happen. She loved Jack!

“It was good. Mom and Meg wanted to come up and check on you, but I told them you needed your rest.”

“Do they know?” Susan swallowed the lump that was in her throat. Trying to figure out why this felt natural, talking to Jacob sitting on the edge of her bed. “About the baby?”

Jacob nodded, “I told them today. I hope that was okay. Mom was a little worried about you,” he smiled, “but then again, she worries about everybody.”

“They know we are just friends right?” Susan looked down and realized her hands were knotting the blanket that was covering her. She straightened out the blankets and smoothed them as well as possible. “They don’t think I’m trying to find a father for the baby? I don’t want them to think I’m...” Susan looked up into Jacob’s golden brown eyes and recognized the compassion and hurt that resided there. Jacob put his finger over her lips.

“Stop. They know we’re friends and they know I am the one that wants to pursue a relationship with you. And that you are still in mourning over Jack. Mom’s worried about me getting hurt, but she will get over that. Like I said, she always worries.”

Susan leaned back against the headboard, “Well, if we’re being honest. I’m worried about that too! I don’t want you to get hurt. And I don’t want you to miss out on something because you’re waiting on me. I may never be ready for a relationship.”

“We’ll see.” Jacob looked at his watch, “I will be heading down soon. I’ll pick you up in an hour or so. Will that be enough time for you to get ready?”

“Yes,” Susan nodded.

“Maybe I can talk you into a dance or two tonight?” Jacob gave one of his megawatt smiles. The kind Susan knew charmed the young and old alike. And even charmed the one sitting in front of him a little.