Dream a Little Dream - Dream 14

Dream 14

A promise is a promise. That was the only reason Susan was getting on a plane today. Jack had been gone for just over two months and Susan had promised Shelly that she would come out and visit. She hadn’t missed one of Hunter’s birthdays and she wasn’t going to let this year be the first. Besides, she was only going for a few days.

No slow romantic drive this time like she and Jack often took when they visited Shelly. The plane would safely take her there in just a few hours. Susan wouldn’t think about the bed and breakfast that she and Jack always stopped at on the trip. And she could disregard the urge to visit the little town with the cute square with the shops that she could never resist on the drive. No a plane was faster and would hold less memories for her.

Jack was still coming to her every night in her dreams. Jacob was a nice guy and they still saw each other at grief group, she told him that they were just in two different places. He respected her and told her that a friend was all he needed right now. Susan believed him, but still declined his offer for coffee the last two weeks. She had also tried to set him up with Amy. A cute girl that worked at the magazine. But he declined her offer of the fix-up date.

Two and a half hours after her plane took off, she was swarmed by little arms when she departed the plane. Gracie and Hunter both had her legs wrapped in hugs. Susan sank down to her knees to embrace the children. She loved these kids so much and her heart swelled with each hug and kiss. This is just what she needed.

“Let Aunt Susie up.” Shelly tried to pull Hunter and Gracie off, but they each took a hand Susan offered and walked with her as Josh walked behind with her suitcase.

Susan hadn’t seen Hunter since he and Josh left after Jack’s funeral, and Gracie since she left with Shelly. She loved these kids and although she and Jack never had children, she just spoiled them a little more than a normal aunt would.

Reaching into her oversized shoulder bag, she pulled out a new Star Wars toy and gave it to Hunter, then she handed Gracie a doll.

“You spoil them too much.” Susan heard Shelly complain.

“No I don’t!” then she looked over at her sister, “well, maybe a little. But it’s an aunt’s prerogative to spoil her niece and nephew as much as possible!”

“I guess you’re right.” Shelly answered. Susan knew that Shelly was thinking that she would never know what it’s like to spoil a niece or nephew, and the thought of never having children broke her heart again. She had pushed that thought to the back of her mind over the past few months. Along with a lot of other dreams that she and Jack had planned on and expected.

“Let’s get you home.” Josh said, “Shelly has a special lunch planned for you.” He passed them as they headed out the small airports sliding glass door and pulled his car keys out of his pocket.

“Chicken and eggplant parm?” Susan asked with a raised eyebrow and maybe a little too much excitement in her voice. Since she was a teenager, that was her favorite dinner and her mom taught both daughters how to cook. Some of Susan’s most memorable times were spent as a family in the kitchen. And it didn’t take a holiday to get everyone there. After school, Shelly and Susan would help their mom and by the time they went off to college, they both knew how to cook and take care of other household chores.

Smiling at her sister, Shelly said, “Is there anything else?”  Looking at her, really looking at her for the first time since she exited the plane, Shelly inquired, “How are you feeling? You look tired.”

Secrets were something that these sisters could not keep from each other. It did not surprise Susan that Shelly picked up on her lack of sleep in just a few minutes time. “I’ve been tired a lot lately, not sleeping well, I guess. I’ve even caught myself falling asleep during the day.” Susan looked at her sister, “but that I blame on poor writing of the articles I’m editing.”