Dream a Little Dream - Dream 21

Part 3 - Desires of Your Heart

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalms 34:7

Chapter 21

Six Months Ago...

Jacob sat in his den and looked around at his photos of famous sport “heroes” and celebrities with their arm thrown around him like they were best friends. He saw the plaques honoring his many charitable endeavors. Everything he had worked for, everything he had ever dreamed of, he had it all. Except for the one thing that mattered the most.

Sure he could settle for someone, anyone. Women were constantly throwing themselves at him and not understanding why he would refuse their attention. He wasn’t after that! He wanted more than just a night of fun. He wanted someone to love him for himself. Someone who could look past his money and looks and fall in love with the man.

His mother had set him up with the daughter of someone from church... again! And although the girl was nice, she was that... a girl. When he tried to talk to her, any topic he brought up, she turned it around to focus on herself. He talked about the organization and funding of a sports camp for inner city kids and she talked about how she use to go to cheerleader camp every summer. He brought up the commitment to the Children’s Hospital fundraiser that he was hosting in a few weeks and she wondered what celebrities she could meet? She practically invited herself as his date. Darlin’ that wasn’t going to happen!!

No, Mama wasn’t allowed to set him up with any more dates!

Sending up a prayer Jacob whispered, “God? Do you hear me? Or have I asked too many times and you’ve turned deaf to this prayer? Will I ever find her? Where is she? What is she going through right now? Lord, help her. I don’t know who she is, but I’m waiting. Not so patiently, but I’m trying.”

Praying for a future spouse wasn’t uncommon to Jacob. His Mama had been praying for all of her children’s spouses since they were little. And although Jacob had not prayed for her until the past couple of years, and in the past few weeks the desire to pray for her came more frequently. Maybe God was telling him that she was going through something and needed prayer. He just prayed that it wouldn’t be much longer until she came into his life.

Jacob stood and he walked up the stairs to his bedroom. The condo he owned was large and although he could not imagine living there with a family, it was close to his office. Although if truth be told, he could work anywhere.

Turning out the lights, Jacob crawled into bed. He didn’t know why he felt the need to pray for her, but he did. “God, I don’t know what’s going on, but you do. Help her. Keep her safe. And please let me see her soon and know she is the one. Your will be done.”

******

The day was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky. He heard birds chirping and a child laughing and faintly he heard a woman crying. His feet carried him to the sobs of the woman. Sitting on a park bench she had her head bowed, maybe she was praying. He didn’t want to intrude, but he could tell she was hurting. Seeing her pain made his heart ache for her. Her brown hair was mostly pulled back, but there were a few tendrils that had slipped loose and was hiding her face.