Dream a Little Dream - Dream 11

Part 2: Life Moves On

It doesn’t matter how much you hurt,

Or what you are going through.

One thing is certain, life will go on.

No matter if the outcome is good or not,

Life will continue whether you like it or not.

Dream 11

Shelly had been gone two weeks and the time had dragged by for Susan. She did everything she could to keep herself busy. Her editor Harry had been great. Every time she finished editing an article, two more were sent to her. He even offered to let her go on a trip and write an article for that location. Susan almost jumped at the chance until he said the destination was Hilton Head and the thought of her dream from their honeymoon came crashing down on her. They had a cottage on a private beach and let love and desire take them away. It was a magical time, but Susan knew she could not go back without Jack, at least not yet.

Her doorbell rang unexpectedly one morning and Mary stood there with a determined look on her face. “Suga, you’re coming with me and you can’t do anything about it!” Mary’s southern drawl was as sweet as the tea she drank. The petite blond was a former Miss something or other. She had worn several crowns in her teen years and it helped her pay for her degree. Her MRS degree when she went off to college and came back as Tom’s wife. Mary was a few years older than Susan, and growing up Mary and Shelly had been rivals in school. But times change and so do people. Everyone was surprised that Mary married a minister and even more surprised when they settled down in the same church Mary grew up in. Some say that Mary’s daddy, who owned the car dealership in town, had a lot to do about that.

“I have a lot of work to do Mary.” Susan welcomed her unexpected guest in to the house then realized that she had thrown on sweatpants and one of Jack’s t-shirts that morning. Her hair was in a sloppy knot on her head and she had not put on make-up since... well she couldn’t remember. She knew how bad she looked by the expression on Mary’s face.

“Darlin’ when was the last time you showered? And put on decent clothes?”

“I showered last night before climbing into bed.”

“No wonder your hair’s a nasty mess.” Mary put her purse down on the coffee table, “It looks like I have come just in time.”

“I have a lot to do. Work is picking up and I’ve been keeping myself busy.”

“Keeping yourself locked up like a hermit is more like it. Well, that’s about to change. Let’s get you showered and dressed, I have us a spa day booked and we have an hour to be there.”

“What? I can’t go to the spa!” Susan shook her head adamantly. “I have a lot of work to do.”

Mary’s laugh sounded like wind chimes tinkling in the breeze, “Nothing that can’t wait darlin’.” She looked at Susan with a stare that said, ‘You will not win this one,’ and insisted, “Suga, we’re going to the spa and you will enjoy it,” then she added, “then we’ll have lunch and shopping. You can take off one day to spend with your oldest and dearest friend.”

“Just remember you called yourself oldest and not me!” Susan smiled. She couldn’t fight Mary’s will and determination on a good day, how could she on a day like today. She had not dreamed of Jack the last two nights and that bothered her and gave her a fitful sleep. Susan had gotten so used to seeing him in her dreams that now when he didn’t come to her it hurt.

“You jump in the shower,” Mary said leading Susan to her bedroom, “I’ll hit your closet for the perfect outfit.”

Susan followed her willingly.