Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Grayson

       My Flower has been a bit....irritable lately. I knew exactly why and maybe egging her on wasn't the best idea, but what could I say? I love bugging the hell out of her, especially if kissing her was what was bothering her.

       "Grayson, I'm serious," Poppy said. "Stop."

       "But you're so kissable," I murmured into her neck before kissing it again. 

       "Screw off."

       I stopped kissing her, looking up at her with a raised eyebrow. "Do you not know what day it is today? And you're seriously telling me to screw off?"

       "Of course I knew what day it is today," Poppy snapped. "Because you won't shut up about it. You're nineteen now, I get it. You don't have to make a big deal out of it."

       "Oh, I am so sorry," I said sarcastically. "I never knew that the very first birthday I get to spend with you wasn't a big deal. I'll ask you next time. Or, better yet, I'll tell you to screw off in ten days. How about that?"

       Tears began filling in Poppy's eyes, causing me to sigh. I really hated this time of the month for her. "You don't have to be so mean about it."

       "I'm sorry," I said. "Forgive me?"

       Poppy scooted away from me, crossing her arms over her chest after wiping the tears away. "No. You're my boyfriend and you're supposed to be nice to me."

       "You're the one who told me to screw off!"

       Poppy ignored me, getting up from the couch and exiting the basement. I followed her but stopped at the bottom of the stairs leading to the second floor. 

       "You can't ignore me forever!" I called. "Give it four days and you'll regret telling me to screw off!"

       "Screw off!" Poppy called again, followed by the sound of her door slamming shut.

       Gene laughed as he walked out of the kitchen. "I'm guessing it's her time of the month?" he asked.

       "Yes, and I wish it was over," I said. Poppy on her period was basically the most annoying thing ever. She was always telling me to screw off, she hated losing in video games, and even cried when she lost. Sometimes, I had to let her win, but then she figured it out and cried some more.

       Not to mention she hated kissing me when she was on her period and I hated not being able to kiss her. It was almost as bad as her telling me to screw off.

       "By the way, your family is coming over soon," Gene said. "Well, minus your parents, of course. Are you fine about that?"

       I nodded. Sure, it sucked being in a huge argument with my parents on my birthday, but I liked Poppy's parents better.

       But then Poppy was being overly dramatic on my birthday and that sucked even more.

       "Your sister said that they're bringing over the cake," Gene continued.

       "Hopefully, it's chocolate so Poppy could eat some and shut up," I said. 

       Gene chuckled. "You and me both, Grayson."

       "I'm going to try getting her to calm down," I said before going up the stairs to Poppy's bedroom. She was sitting cross-legged on the bed, punching a pillow. "Need some company?"