Chapter 10

“Mia, how about this one?” Emily asks, holding up yet another dress.

“I don’t think so; yellow washes her out, no offence”

“Check you out Pagan, fashionista!” Tammy teased, rolling her eyes. Since everyone already knew what they were wearing to Jake’s party, they were helping me to find something to wear... and it was painful!

Tammy, Pagan, Alex and I were sitting on Emily’s bed, watching as she raided her wardrobe looking for an outfit for me.

“Wait! How about this one?!” Emily squealed

Emily held up a deep red, lacy, strapless dress. It was beautiful but maybe a little short.

“I don’t know, don’t you think it’s a little short?” I asked hesitantly

“Hell no! Just try it on at least” Emily said, pouting at me

I sighed in defeat and reached for the dress. “Fine”

I took the dress and headed towards the bathroom to change. “Wait, don’t forget the shoes!” Emily chirped excitedly. Laughing at her enthusiasm I took the shoes and shut the bathroom door.

As I opened the door I was met with a wolf whistle from Tammy. Giggling I walked over to the mirror.   

“Sexy mama!” Pagan hooted, causing me to laugh even more.

“Are you sure I don’t look too slutty?” I asked worriedly, pulling on the hem.

“Who cares? When Lux sees you in that dress, he won’t be able to stay away!” Alex says, winking

“Exactly!” Tammy exclaims “He’ll probably drop Courtney too”

Ugh. Ever since Monday that tramp has been all over him.

“Who says I even want Lux to want me?” I asked defensively

“Please, I see the way he looks at you in humanities” Alex points out

What is she talking about? Lux has been ignoring me all week.

A wave of guilt washed over me; I still haven’t told them about what happened with Lux... Although he did say it was a mistake, so I guess there’s nothing to tell.

                               * * *

Half an hour later, we were pulling up in front of the house, in Emily’s white Honda civic. Already cars lined the streets and you could hear the thumping music from out here. People were milling around, red plastic cups in hand. We all piled out and made our way up the drive way. As we walked in ‘Tonight I’m getting over you’ by Carly Rae Jepson was blaring from the speakers. Jake and Dylan, who were standing on the other side of the room, waved us over. Pagan immediately ran over to Jake and threw her arms around his neck.

“Hey Mia” Dylan greeted as we approached. “You look great” he said as his eyes raked up and down my body.

“Thank you”

“Do you want a drink?”

“I’d love one” I said flirtatiously, following him towards the kitchen.

Dylan handed me a shot of tequila and I looked at it warily. I was facing the living room, which people were using as a dance floor. My eyes roamed over the crowed until they locked onto to a couple getting frisky in the corner. 

Wait, is that...?

Lux.

His hands were on the gorgeous red heads ass and she was running her fingers through his hair. Jealousy coursed through my veins and as if sensing my gaze, Lux’s eyes shot up to meet mine, never breaking the kiss. I looked away quickly and knocked back my drink, the liquor burning my throat as it went down.