Chapter 7

You have got to be kidding me! No way is Lux in the same class as me. I blink a couple of times and try to regain control of my thoughts.

“Mr. Tyler you are late” The gravelly voice of our middle aged teacher moans. Piercing green eyes glance up and meet mine. I can feel a blush spreading over my cheeks at the fact I’ve been caught staring and I want to look away but I can’t. A smirk spreads across Lux’s face as he takes his time heading down the aisle. As my blush intensifies I look back down at my schedule and let the loose pieces of hair hide my face. I catch the scent of mint and cigarettes as Lux walks past and seats himself in the seat behind Alex.

I look over at Alex who’s staring at me with wide eyes and a smile playing on the corner of her mouth.

“What?” I mouth, giving her my innocent look.

 She shakes her head dismissively and turns her attention to the front, where Mr. Johnson begins talking.

“Welcome back class, to AP Humanities! Since I’m sure over the summer most, if not all of you will have forgotten everything we did before, we’re going to start off simple.

We left off with thinking about creative impulses in us and in others. All I want you guys to do today is, in pairs, choose a creative topic from the one’s I'm about to write up on the board and use this to get to know each other better creatively.”

Mr. Johnson glanced around the room before turning his back and writing the topics on the board, as people turned to their partners and being mumbling. Thank God I was sitting next to Alex!

Once the topics were up, I scanned over them, looking for the best one. My eyes landed on ‘making connections’ and the second I started to open my mouth to mention it to Alex, Mr Johnson’s voice rose over the chatter.

“Now I know you’re all sitting with your friends and normally I don’t have a problem with that but...”

Oh no.

“This exercise is about getting to know people in new and creative ways, which you will not be able to do with a friend, whom you all ready know. So, I would like all of the people sitting on the left side of the desk’s to move up one. These will be your new seats for this semester.”

Oh god. That means Lux will be my partner!

My heart beat sped up a little at the thought of sitting next to Lux for the semester. It made me nervous although I'm not sure if it’s in a good way or a bad way. “I’ll wait for you outside after class” Alex says, grinning and winking at me before gathering her books and moving up a row.

I was in too much shock, I barely even registered that Alex’s vacant chair was now occupied, so when I looked over at the hottie now sitting there I jumped a little.

“Whoa, sorry sweetheart, I didn’t mean to scare you” Came Lux’s husky voice.

I rolled my eyes and snorted. No seriously, I actually snorted. God that must have been so off-putting! Okay, just pretend it didn’t happen.

“Please, I’m not scared of you” I said, trying to sound more confident than I actually was.

He looked down at the desk and let out a low chuckle. “Whatever you say” He retorted.

Before I had the chance to come up with a come-back, the professors’ voice rumbled around the room.

“For the rest of class, find out as much as you can about your new partner. Tomorrow I want a write-up of your discoveries and don’t any of you even think about making it up! This is pair work people! I expect you all to meet up at some point to finish this”