Chapter 9

On the evening of the same day as my courtyard performance I received a call from Jack.

“Come to my room, there’s someone I’d like for you to meet!” he said. I was hesitant, but accepted none the less.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes.” I told him, already throwing on my pair of boots.

“Make it snappy!” he said cheekily.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said, switching my phone to my other ear in an effort to get both boots on.

“I’ll see ya soon!”

“See ya,” I ended the call and checked my reflection in the mirror. I put a dash more of mascara on and grabbed my purse before heading out the door.

I kept my head down as I walked past clumps of people. I didn’t feel like being noticed, although, I doubt I was anyways. I was just James Hadsbury’s rich girlfriend. And maybe that’s all I’ll ever be, although I certainly hope otherwise.

It only took a moment for Jack to open his door after I knocked. To my surprise, he was alone. He had said he wanted me to meet someone, but there was no one here for me to meet.

“Um…” I trailed off, waving my finger around his room.

“Oh right!” he said, leading me over to his desk. “Sophie, this is Finn. Finn, this is Sophie!”

I waved at the mirror image of Jack on his computer screen. I picked up small differences though, such as Finn’s hair was styled the opposite direction and he had a more prominent jaw line. If I hadn’t seen Jack as much I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

“Hello!” he said, flashing a cheeky smile similar to that of Jack’s.

“Hi,” I said, rather shyly. I was still trying to absorb the fact that there was two of Jack. Just what I needed, another cheeky bastard to deal with.

“Jack has told me loads about you,” he said. I looked over next to me where Jack’s hand was resting over his lip, trying to act casual.

“I have no idea what he’s talking about,” he said coolly. 

“Uh-huh,” I said, biting my lip into my grin. “So, Finn, where do you go to school?”

“University of Leeds,” he answered. “I’m studying graphic design.”

“Wow,” I slipped out. I turned to Jack again. “Three hours from your twin?”

I couldn’t imagine being so far apart from someone you haven’t been separated from since birth.

“We manage,” said Jack.

“So, Sophie, Jack’s told me you have quite the talent in music.” said Finn, breaking his way back into the conversation. I flushed red.

“I suppose,” I said.

“She’s incredible.” Jack stated for me.

“You should sing in a video!” suggested Finn.

“That’s what I said!” exclaimed Jack, throwing his hands into the air. I shot Jack a warning look. We discussed this matter earlier.

“I can’t,” I said.

“What?” said Finn, shocked. “Why not?”

“I just…I can’t, alright?” I stated with a huff, folding my arms over my chest. The boys finally left the topic alone and we continued to chat with Finn. We shared stories of our childhood, our families, even dumb things we did in secondary school.