Chapter 19

Once again, I found myself on the roof of the shed, searching the night sky for answers. But, it was cloudy tonight and the stars were hardly visible. I picked at the shingles with my fingernails. The rubber-texture felt smooth against my skin, yet rough at the same time.

James and I had gotten into a fight. He was angry at me for practicing when we were supposed to be spending time together. It wasn’t that big of a deal, but James exploded. He’d told me that if he had to look at my face any longer he would vomit in disgust. 

I think I would rather have had him punch me until I coughed blood than tell me those words. Those left a bigger ache than any bruise ever has.

The autumn night air nipped at my skin, yet I hardly felt anything. My whole body was numb. I couldn’t even remember the last time I blinked.

The moon was only a thumbnail tonight and gave off hardly any light. I could hear the thumping of music coming from a frat house down the road. I listened to the roars of partiers, thinking how lucky they were. Hell, maybe I should go join them. I’m sure the alcohol could finish off the numbing for me. But, I was afraid of doing something I would regret.

They always say that when you’re drunk, your real personality comes out. So, I suppose James isn’t the sweet-talking businessman everyone seems to think he is. Because, when he’s drunk, he is nothing but violent and cruel. It’s gotten so bad, in fact, that he doesn’t even need alcohol to be himself anymore. At least, not with me.

I turned my head at the snapping of a branch and a chorus of shouts and laughter. I took a deep breath and faced the sky once more.

I opened my eyes only slightly. I could feel vibrations in my pocket. Where was I? I slowly rubbed the sleep out of my eyes to realize that I was still on the shed, and I was freezing. A trail of goosebumbs ran up my spine as I pulled out my phone to see that it was 2:57 am, and that I had a voicemail and missed call from Jack.

I had deleted his contact upon James’ request, but that didn’t mean I didn’t still recognize his number.

I might as well listen to it before I delete it anyways. I wouldn’t want James catching me. I punched in my passcode and counted the stars in the sky as I waited for his message.

Jack’s voice scared me. Instead of it’s usual, cheeky tone, it was pained and distressed.

“Look, I know that it’s three in the morning and you probably still don’t want to talk to me but I just need to know that you’re alright. I can’t sleep until I know that you’re safe and he’s not hurting you. Whether you want me to or not, Sophie, I care about you. Just…let me know you’re okay, please? I love you…”

For the first time in my life, I cried - not because I was scared, sad, or upset - but because someone actually gave a damn about me. And knowing that there’s someone out there who cares if you live or die, well, that can be enough.

I needed to talk to Jack. I needed to see his face again, be in his presence. I need him to wrap his arms around me and whisper that everything will be okay into my ear. Without that, I might just go crazy.

I wanted to call him back, but I knew that James would be monitoring my call history. Although, right now as I lay on these roof in the middle of the night, my fingers so cold and numbed I could barely move them, I really didn’t care. I’m done being afraid of him.

I went through my latest calls, finding Jack’s number with ease at the top of the list. As my finger went to press down on the screen, I received a text from James.

James: Where are you? I thought we could spend the night together

Maybe if I ignore him and just stay on this roof all night, he’ll just disappear. But maybe is a word that will get you into trouble. So, I did what I had to do. I climbed off the roof and went to James’s room.