Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Can I have your invitations please, ladies?" Asked the burly looking bouncer, raising a questioning eyebrow at both me and my best friend, Josie. He crossed his arms over his muscled chest and eyed us both suspiciously. 

We had just approached the doors of the grand house, following the steady stream of people dressed in an array of ball gowns, suits and bow ties. It was late evening, and the hum of chatter flowed freely from inside the house - excuse me, Manor - In the middle of Creek - Wood. Slightly creepy, that the residents chose to reside so far from civilisation, surrounded by shadows and god knows what else?...but I can't begin to even try to understand the mind of the rich.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they lived smack-bang in the middle of nowhere, away from all of us common-folk. More Space, less bother? I knew I would likely do the same... if I could afford it.

"Invitation?... Err, yeah! I, uh, left it inside..." Came Josie's hesitant reply. I shot a look at her in complete panic. She didn't have our invitations? What the hell! Why the bloody hell did she drag me all the way out here without an invitation? I rolled my eyes, already planning the ways I was going to kick her ass when we got back to the car.

"Left it inside, huh?" The bouncer answered in amusement, disbelief evident all over his face. "Funny, I haven't seen you guys come in yet, and I've been here all night."

Funny. Hilarious even. Well, crap. 

Frustrated grumbles were starting to echo from the people behind us, impatient to get in.

Brushing some imaginary lint from the hem of my black dress, I looked expectantly at my best friend, waiting to see what other excuse she might be able come up with next.

She looked at me sidelong and I looked straight back, as if to say, no really, go on. Tell the lovely, scary man where the invitations are.

She sighed, resigned.

"Well... We kind of-maybe-sort of-don't actually have an invitation..." She rushed out in a tumble of words, glancing at me with a hint of mischief in her eyes. She threw her eyes from me, to the doors, then back to me, expectantly.

"I'm sorry ladies. No invite, no party." The bouncer replied, his eyes roaming over my body before meeting my eyes, throwing me a wink. I inwardly cringed. Whether he liked what he saw or not, it was clear he wasn't letting us in. Trust Josie, to gate crash a party for the rich. Did she think we were in a real life game of Cluedo? What was I thinking, letting her drag me out to the middle of the forest... 

"Oh my gosh! Ted Bundy, Is that you?!" Josie yelled in mock surprise, interrupting my inner rant and pointing to the foliage of forest behind the house. 

Really? Even the bouncer's gaze was unimpressed, as he tilted his head to the side.

"Nice try." He chuckled, shaking his head at us. Despite the fact the woods certainly were eery enough for a serial killer to reside, I couldn't help my smile as I grabbed Josie's hand, ready to turn and duck out of the queue. She was ridiculous.

"Yeah, you're right... We'll just go now." Josie sighed, her shoulders sagging. I rolled my eyes at her. 

"Come on Nina. They must have left us off the guest list" She muttered, sending me a weird look. I tried to stifle my laugh. This was typical Josie, trying to drag me into her rebellious schemes. Truthfully, I joined in most of the time, but only due to her own sick inspiration, and I was, admittedly, very easily influenced.

 Josie flicked her long brown hair behind her, turning her back on the hunk of muscle to walk down the steps. She was clad in a stunning red cocktail dress that flowed past her ankles and hugged her slim figure. I sighed internally. I guess we got dressed up for nothing.