Chapter 24: The King

Nero

“Next time I tell you no and you think otherwise, you have permission to kick me in the butt,” Saraf says when Nero limps into his store. “I heard they’re calling you the wee Borukin for Stone’s sake. With how well you sense Aether, I should have figured you’d be able to perform Odo. Did you pick it up from watching Natina train?”

“A little.”

“Did you learn from Sosimo?”

Nero shakes his head.

“Then where?”

Nero looks off to the side and starts to inspect some of the Amulets.

“Out with it already. You’re giving me an ulcer.”

“There’s this smart entity or something I play with in the park,” Nero says in just above a whisper. “I’ve been using broom sticks to defend myself from its Aether.”

“That explains everything…”

Nero looks up. “It does? Do you know what it is?”

“I’ve been wondering where my broomstick went! Come on Nero. I’m not that old and gullible. Where did you come up with the idea of a smart entity?”

Nero’s head drops. “I knew you wouldn’t believe me.”

“You’re serious?”

Nero nods.

“A smart entity?”

Nero nods again.

“For all the times you’ve proved me wrong and surprised me, I’d be stupid not to take you seriously. You’ll have to show me sometime but for now it’ll have to wait.”

Nero barely catches a package as it bounces of his chest. “What's this?”

“A package you broom wit,” Saraf says. “Open it.”

Nero rips off the wrapping and his excitement plummets. Clothes? Yuck. He pulls out a nice tunic and holds it up. “Uhh... Thanks, this is very nice.”

“Yeah I'm sure you really like them. Hurry up and put them on.”

“What? Really? Do I have to?”

“Yes you do if you’re going to accompany Natina today. Your ratty clothes won't cut it.”

“What?”

“Natina wants you to join her for the final day of competition.”

“Really?”

“Yep.”

“You don't mind?” Nero asks.

“No. This may be your only opportunity in your life to go to this event.”

“And if I want to go I have to wear these clothes?”

“It's a horrible price I know. Can you manage?”

Nero looks at the clothes one more time and nods. “I’ll try.”

*****

Saraf leads Nero through the crowd at the base of the stadium until they reach a small guard stand. Saraf talks with the guard for a moment and the guard sends for a royal assistant.

After a few moments of waiting the royal assistant approaches Saraf and Nero. “Are you the human child Nero?”

“This is him,” Saraf says.

The royal assistant signals with his hand and turns towards the door. “Follow me.”

“Have fun Nero,” Saraf pats him on the back. “Try not to hit your head on anything hard and remember to take the steps one at a time.”