Chapter 14: Exploration

Iona

Iona, caring a small satchel, wanders down the streets with Nero and a growing number of people. All the Borukins they pass smile or nod at the two. Iona rubs her fingers on her palms and notices them becoming sweaty.

Nero slows down. “Do you think we should be going this far?”

I knew he would be a downer. “Come on, just a little bit farther. Look, the park should be just down there.”

Iona leaves Nero standing by himself as she walks down the road. He eventually catches up and they weave a path through the Borukins. The buildings come to an end and a giant park is revealed. Dirt paths separate areas of thick, tall trees and foliage and open areas of well-kept green grass where Borukins lounge or run about. People walk down some paths that cut into the thicket and are gobbled up almost immediately by the plants. Little vendors are set up about the edge of the park, selling all manners of items. Iona and Nero stop at one booth with plants that have giant flowers of reds, purples, and oranges.

“Woo, neat,” Iona says as the flowers move to her hand while she waves it in front of them.

Other venders have colorful figurines of blown glass and souvenirs of the Borukin royalty.

Iona suddenly feels a surge of energy, right when Nero grabs her arm.

Iona spins around. “What is it?”

“Did you hear that?”

“I hear a lot, as there is a lot to hear.” Does he want to go back again?

Nero shakes his head. “Never mind.” He looks off towards the park. “I'm going to check something out.”

What? Is he losing his mind? It takes her a moment to realize he is already walking quickly through the crowd.

Nero ducks into one of the naturally wooded areas and sneaks through, stooping behind a tree and looking out. Iona crouches down beside him. A Borukin woman is arguing with a male vendor of another race, who is smaller and lighter of skin. He has a small portable setup that looks as though he could carry everything on his back.

The Borukin throws up her hands, accentuating the definition in her strong arms. “That's a ridiculous price.”

“Not if others will pay it,” the smaller man says with a cold face.

“It’s an intelligent and noble creature. They’re rare enough yet you'll sell it to someone that’ll eat it as a delicacy.”

“And some think they’re evil,” the man says. “I've heard stories where they've killed entire families. Maybe the world is better off without them.”

“They’re misunderstood and have suffered a near extinction because of it.”

“Lady, in the end, I'm a business man. I can hardly concern myself with such trivial matters. This is the price no matter what you plan to do with it.”

“I could just report you,” the woman says.

“You could,” the smaller man says calmly. “But you have no proof and they can't search my stuff without it.” The man puts his foot on a light colored perforated wood box. “Even with proof I would disappear before the police arrive. Your only options are to pay the money or leave.”

Nero clenches the side of the tree. “I'm going to save it,” he says in a whisper without facing her.

“Save what?” Iona asks.

“The creature in the box.” Nero turns to her. “You going to help?”

“The guy said that it’s evil.”