Chapter 20: The Smoking Boy

Nero

Nero backs up to a large tree, the dark violet Entity closes in on him and the broomstick is vibrating harshly in his hands. His slow draw of Aether from the stick hardly seems to make it settle. Please don’t blow up. Please don’t blow up! He glances around in the early morning darkness for easy cover and sees nothing. I don’t think I can block anymore.

The Entity shoots a bolt of energy at him and he reacts instantly with the broomstick. Oh no! His body tenses and he pushes against the Aether. He feels the impact and hears a small pop off to the side of him. A ring of smoke rises from the ground.

Did I just deflect that?

The Entity flickers briefly and attacks again. Nero focuses on putting pressure against the Aether in his broomstick and sends another bolt of energy ricocheting off his stick.

This is awesome! Now I don't have to worry about this thing blowing up in my face! A smile creeps across his lips and he starts to advance, pushing the Entity back and earning himself some breathing room. “Not so tough now ‘Mister I can use Aether but I'm still just a blob of mist!’ Or is it Misses Pinky?”

The Entity grows even darker, only a hint of violet is visible and its attacks reflect the same harshness. Nero is driven on his heels, swinging the stick wildly in an effort to keep up.

“Alright! Pink’s not so bad.” Nero dives out of the way while blocking a shot. I need to go on the offensive or I'm going to get smoked! He deflects another few attacks, each time the stick is knocked around like he is blocking a ball. Wait a second! If I can deflect the attacks― I wonder...

He grips the stick in both hands, settles on the balls of his feet, and everything seems to slow. A small spot on the Entity brightens momentarily and an especially large bolt of energy emerges. Nero steps into it and swings with all his might, connecting with what feels like a small house made of concrete. There is a slight hesitation, then a painful increase in the stick's vibrations, a bright flash, and a surge of energy that propels Nero through the air trailing smoke like a streamer. He hits the ground first with his butt and tumbles backwards into a bush. Pain stabs him in the stomach each time he tries to take a breath, reducing him to short gasps. Slowly his breathing comes back and the ache through his entire body takes over. A strange smoky smell tickles his nostrils and he closes his eyes.

Ouch.

Hurried footsteps crunch through the surrounding area. Great... Maybe if I don't move they won't see me.

“Are you okay?” Comes the voice of a young girl.

Dang. Nero claws his way from the bush and struggles to his feet. The same Borukin girl and man he has seen at Saraf's are looking at him, Natina and Grebson. Princess! What do I do? The girl's eyebrows are furrowed while the man's face is completely neutral. He has the Aether cast symbols of Pahzan, Icor, and Moltrik tattooed on his face. Nero quickly glances around and to his relief the Entity is gone.

“What are you doing in that bush?” Natina asks.

“Uhhh... I was... um.... sleeping. If that's okay?”

The girl tilts her head to the side and frowns. “Then why are you smoking?”

“I don’t smoke!”

“No, look at yourself. You’re smoking!”

What is she talking about? Nero looks at himself and he is definitely smoking. He tries to clear the air with his hands to little effect. “Oh that? Uhhh... that's normal,” he says with a cough