Chapter 6: Ferin Forest

Iona

A house burns with flames so large they seem to lick the night sky. The heat from the dancing flames soon forces her to turn away and she sees Nero looking at the house with such horror that it takes her breath away. She tries to call out to him but her mouth is too dry to form the words, and the dream slips away as quickly as it came.

*****

What’s that sound? Iona is immersed in blackness; muffled groans barely register in her mind. Is someone crying? The fog slowly begins to lift, clearing her mind as it does and waking up a plethora of aches and pains from the long day before and the uncomfortable ground beneath her. Her mouth is parched and she imagines drinking a glass of water the size of her head. But why is someone crying? Suddenly she remembers where she is and opens her eyes.

Rays of light spill through gaps in the forest canopy, streaking through the haze in the air and illuminating the ground. She lifts herself on her elbow and notices the other children are just starting to stir as well. Nero’s body twitches sporadically and he lets out weak whimpers and moans; his face grimaces and glistens with sweat.

Thea rolls over. “Nero wake up!” She uses both hands to shake him.

Nero’s eyes snap open and he looks around. “What’s going on?”

Thea rolls back and sits on her feet. “You were having a bad dream. Are you alright?”

Nero throws his blanket off and stands up. “What? No I wasn’t.” He turns his back to the group and walks away from their little camp.

Thea looks quizzically at the others and Korbin props himself up on one arm. “That’s the way it always is, Ryder and I have just learned to ignore his little night terrors.”

“I had a dream last night too and I never dream,” Thea says. “Maybe it’s just because we’re away from home.”

Korbin shakes his head. “No, he has them most nights and for as long as I can remember. But don’t worry you’ll get used to sleeping right through them.”

Iona rubs her eyes and lies back down. Jeeze, Nero’s a mess.

*****

After everyone is up and moving, they eat some dried fruit and other snacks and pack their make-shift beds. Soon they are walking again, following the creek as it dives into the heart of the forest that is quickly transforming into an entirely different ecosystem. Large roots coil about the ground like a tangle of snakes, weaving in and out of the thick plant growth covering everything. Colorful birds of a variety of sizes sing to each other in the treetops and dart from one branch to the next looking for tasty insects. As Iona looks from one thing to the next, she stumbles over a rock and looks down.

“Woo!” She jumps back as the gray rock sprouts legs and a head, and scurries off into a patch of bushes. “Neat,” she says to herself.

Korbin reaches deep into a tangle of vines and pulls free a large stick. He thrusts it into the air. “Ah ha!” He lowers it and points it at Ryder. “Ryder! I challenge you to a duel!”

Ryder continues to walk. “We should save our energy Korb.”

Korbin glares at Ryder and then quickly snaps the stick at Thea. “Thea! I challenge you to a duel!”

A smile spreads across her face but is lost in a second as she frantically looks for another stick. She finds a stick of similar proportions and tugs it free. “Very well. As a prize I’ll give you a quick death!”

Thea lunges at Korbin and the two begin a frantic dance with their sticks, sparring for moments and then chasing each other around the moss covered trees.