Chapter 7: Blue Horin Bay

Iona

A figure shrouded in shadows holds his arms out and gently calls to her, as if he were her father. She desperately wants to go to him but she is unable to close the distance no matter how hard she tries, until the figure slowly fades away.

*****

As Iona blinks the grogginess from her eyes, she sees treetops swaying gently with a light blue sky behind them. She hears a rustle and sits up. A well rested Nero is bending over the backpacks and collecting the food.

Ryder pushes himself up and rubs his head. “Hey Nero, what’cha doin?”

Nero pauses to look at Ryder. “Just looking to see what’s for breakfast.”

Ryder yawns. “Jeeze you’re up and moving quick this morning.”

Nero looks at Ryder seriously. “Wish I could say the same about you guys.”

Ryder smiles. “I like it Nero, let’s get these lazy bums moving. Barrel Roll!” He whips the blankets off and begins to roll back and forth over the other children, occasionally stopping to tickle and terrorize.

“Alright we’re up,” Thea says as she jumps up. “What’s for breakfast then?”

They put together a sorry looking breakfast which doesn’t take them long to eat and struggle to continue their journey on sore feet and tired legs. Nero leads the way while tossing the piece of fruit he found from the forest in the air and catching it.

Iona marvelous at the strange lightness in her chest. She tries to shake the feeling with little success. I need to be on my guard there could still be danger.

Ryder snaps his compass shut and looks at Nero as they walk. “So why you in such a good mood?”

Nero shrugs. “I don’t know. I just like it here. It’s peaceful.”

Ryder raises one eyebrow. “Yeah? I guess so if you don’t include all the monsters trying to eat us… What really happened with the thing back there?”

“Nothing exciting… It’s not a big deal and you guys wouldn’t believe me anyways.”

Ryder gives Nero a playful shove. “Oh whatever, just tell us.”

Nero takes a deep breath. “Okay so after Korbin shoved me and the animal roared… I just kinda blacked out I think.”

Korbin hurries along side Nero and Ryder. “Ha! I can believe that.”

“Come on Korb, let him finish,” Ryder says.

Nero hesitates for a moment. “So I woke up under the tree like I said and the yellow and red striped animal was lying near me―”

“What?” Korbin looks at Nero sharply. “What yellow and red striped animal?”

“The big animal that roared…” Nero says. “The one you were poking with the stick.”

“It didn’t have red and yellow stripes.” Korbin turns to Ryder and shakes his head. “Can you believe this? He’s already making stuff up.” He turns back to Nero with contempt. “I bet next you’re going to tell us you fought it with your bare hands and scared it away.”

“What?” Nero says. “No! I’m not making this up it’s the truth.”

“Oh right, I believe you. I bet the real reason it didn’t eat you is because it was afraid you’d upset its stomach.”

“You’re such a butt!” Nero runs a short distance ahead of the others and walks with his head down.

“That was super mean Korb,” Thea says. “You don’t always have to be a jerk.”