Chapter 31

(Not edited)

*Austins POV*

When I saw Avery walk away with a helpless look on her face, Jake turned and looked at me but didn't say anything. I nodded at him and walked out of Gabby's house. Her house was messed up now; because of me. Once I was outside, I closed my eyes and inhaled and exhaled. I opened my eyes and sensed I wasn't the only person outside. Someone cleared their throat so I turned to see Gabby.

My dad was planning on doing something about Darren but Gabby sounded like she could do it when she told them to go the 'usual spot'. I respected Gabby but I wanted to do something about it myself. I'm sick of having other people clean up my mess, it will only stop if I make a move to help. Everyone's telling me to just stop and let them handle it but that's not going to do anything.

"Thought you were going to handle the business with those guys?" I asked.

"They can wait, I've got a few things to deal with first" Gabby responded.

"Look Gabby, I'm really sorry about what's happened" I stepped off the first step at the door and took a step towards her.

"Sorry isn't going to fix what happened here" Her face hardened as she spoke the words.

"What do you want me to do?" I threw my hands up in the air.

"I want you to wake up to yourself and stay away from Avery, haven't you hurt enough people Austin?" Gabby asked like it was the most obvious thing to say. Well it was.

"Trust me I don't want to hurt Avery but I love her, I can't just leave her" I kept walking towards Gabby till I was a few metres away from her.

Gabby cocked an eyebrow. "Just like you loved Jean? Austin this is a lot bigger than anyone realises and your hurting Avery more when you're with her"

"I did love Jean, don't doubt it, how do you think Avery will feel if I just leave her?" If i do leave Avery then she'll just think i'm another one of those jerks, even though I am, I don't want to be one to her.

"Yeah that's why you got over her so quickly, Austin don't break up with Avery, don't leave her but you better start doing a better job at protecting her"

I left a few moments of silence to piece together what I was going to say but Gabby started speaking again.

"Jake will be out of town for a few weeks and I have paid and organised for a fair, it'll give you two some time and I trust you will know what to do, Jake's not an idiot he will work out what's going on between you and Avery if he hasn't already" She stood up in frustration.

"I know what I'll do and I know Jake will or has found out, from the start Jake told Avery to stay away from me didn't he?" I asked as I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans.

"Yeah because you'd be the one to drag her into this mess" Gabby pointed an accusing finger at me. "I don't know if he has put two and two together just yet but Austin I just want to call something to your attention, those guys in there listen to me, those guys who took Avery the first time listened to me, I will be the worse thing you ever deal with and if you hurt Avery you will have to deal with me. I think you will do well to remember that" She made sure she had my full attention and eye contact when she said the last line.

"I knew from the moment Jean died, I'd have to deal with a lot of people but I know if I wasn't with Avery you'd probably kill me, there's more coming for not only me but Avery as well" I looked down when I finished. I couldn't act strong and normal around Gabby because she only reminded me about Jean, and at the moment hearing Jean's name made me feel guilty and it chilled me to the bone.