Chapter Nine

Desert. That was all she could see was desert. In the far horizon heat-waves, and it was early morning, up at 5 to drive her out into the desert, after a shared breakfast in his rooms. Happily Natalie snapping away though did get jostled around a bit. Saqr driving. "Hey, a little bit smoother please."

"Sorry madam I'd go out there and smooth out the desert for you," came back just as dryly.

"Thank you. Appreciated," she laughed as they hit another rough patch. "Perhaps next time we could use a road," she suggested, clasping at the dashboard.

"There are no roads where we are going."

"So you finally decided to dump me out in the desert to get lost, wandering around, forever and a day."

"Darling, you wouldn't last half a day, so no." She swung around and snapped a picture of him driving, one elbow on the window, holding the steering wheel in the other, looking very much at home. He glanced across. "What was that for?"

"A memory," she smiled.

"What memory?" he asked, knowing he was going to regret it.

"The day you called me darling," she laughed that was like music to his heart. He loved her laughter, it was always so rich and free. He reached across, caressing her leg over the Abaya to squeeze. She trembled at his touch. He glanced across again, though eyes hidden by black mirrored sunglasses, he smiled.

"How are you really going?" It was a long drive where they were going.

"Battered and bruised, your highness, however, I would survive, barely," she promised with a smile, then took another shot, suggesting he should be driving with his hand, not his knees. Shaking his head, he realised, placing his hand back on the steering wheel, while she looked around again through the lens of the camera. She lowered the camera when a shape come into view that shimmered in the distance. "Saqr am I imaging that?" she pointed to the far distance.

"No, that is where we are heading to do some falconry." She shot him a look of surprise.

"Really? I thought that was only a man's sport out here?"

"Didn't father say you had access to all areas of my life?"

"Yes," she beamed. "He did. I always knew I loved your father."

"I hope not," he growled deep in his throat, only waved away by her hand.

"You know what I mean." Keeping straight ahead he churned up the sand, gaining sped as they got closer to the pitched black tents. Finally he pull up, off to the side, killing the engine. Stepping out of the land-cruiser Saqr circled the car to go around, opening Natalie's door and helped her out. Standing in front of him, he lifted up the black Hijab to place over her loose black hair, covering and wrapped around her neck. Lightly he trailed a finger down her nose. "Now you must do as I say and say nothing," he whispered, because as she said it was a man's sport, and woman usually didn't attend such meets.

Dressed completely in a black Abaya with a white fancy embroidery attached belt empire style, with a white band around the neckline, looking striking against the black material of the dress, though not as striking as the woman, who wore it, wishing they were alone. Such a contrast to his pure white robes and shemagh.

Self conscious, she lowered her head and turned, staring across the vast desert. Only to move forward at the touch of Saqr's hand on the small of her back that he kept there as they headed to the entrance of the main tent that was open, where a group of men were sharing coffee and talking.

Gently Saqr grabbed her arm, and guided her to stand behind him as he went to greet the men with usual greetings and finally introduced her to the group. She smiled and nodded to be guided by Saqr to take a seat where he sat at her side. After a round of drinks, the group of men all climbed into cars. They went back to there own, following the trail out into the desert, where more men were waiting who had already been informed of her arrival as she walked at Saqr's side, camera in hand, ready for shoots. Another tent off to the side.