Our Little Boy - 12

Hunter's Perspective. 

How do you even look after a toddler? I watched my potential child sat by the front door, crying for his mom. I saw it all happen and how Rain got knocked down by the stupid weather. The Pack Doctor refused to let me go into the infirmary but I didn't argue. I guess I wanted to watch the kid.

When Rain told me it was my baby, I didn't know how to react. Part of me was furious at her for never telling me, another part of me was excited that I had my own son but of course there was that part of me that just felt super sad that I couldn't have been there for either of them.

I didn't doubt for a second that the kid was mine but I had to keep up my Alpha persona and just be a total jerk to her, even to the point of her turning to leave again. I don't know what would have happened if I'd have let her go then. Would I have chased after her?

"Hey, come, here. You want a cookie?" Micael asked my son. He shook his head fiercely. "I want my mom!" "Well, come then and we'll go." "No! I'm waiting for her here." the boy said. I smiled a little then. I loved his fiery attitude that he definitely must have gotten from me. 

Micael tried to pick him up but my son screamed like he'd just been hit. My protective instincts kicked in then. "Micael! Leave him! Get someone else to try." I said. I cant believe that my poor son wanted me to hold him before and I just ignored him. I wanted to hold him now, to hug him and kiss him.

Ryan and Scott tried. Trent and Josh tried. Bella tried. Xavier tried. We even got one of the pack's best child minder, Aubrey, who knew exactly how to deal with pups. She did all she could but then she turned and shook her head. "I can't. He's an Alpha. I've never managed one before. He's different." she said to me.

I stood there and stared at my son. There was no denying that he was mine. "So how did Rain manage? She's a human..." Ryan said. Actually, that's a pretty good question but no-one really knew the answer. There was no way she could carry on raising this boy without our help. Then Scott nudged me. "You should try, dude. He's half wolf so he's bound to smell the connection between you guys." he said.

I swallowed, feeling terrified. I didn't have the first clue about kids. I turned to Aubrey questioningly. "If he accepts, just gently pick him up and take him to your room. He's knows you've got a connection with him so you just make that bond stronger." she said.

I nodded and nervously stepped closer to him as everyone else moved back.  "Take small steps, Alpha. Then speak to him gently." I heard Aubrey's voice float into my mind. Finally I got only a few centimeters from my son. Everyone else had only managed a few steps. 

Then I crouched down in front of him and cleared my throat. He was so beautiful and gazed at me, unblinking. "H-hey there. You wanna come with me?" I asked, my voice wavering a little. I was scared that he'd reject me like I did to him but now I was so ready to welcome this little guy in my life.

"Put your hand out but don't touch him just yet."

I did as i was told and held my hand out. He recoiled a little and hesitated a little. "You didn't wanna hold me before." he said adorably blinking his wet eyes. I felt my heart break into a million pieces. "I know, I know. That was before." I said, silently begging him.

I don't know what was wrong with me before but now that I was this close to him, the only thing I wanted to do was to hold him. All of a sudden he stood up and took my hand. His hand was soft and warm and made me go all fuzzy with happiness. I actually hadn't felt like this years! 

Everyone else clapped and my son gripped onto my hand and I led him upstairs. I could have sworn I saw      Micael wipe a tear away. I actually smiled as I looked down at my son. I doubt anyone's seen me smile since Rain'd left. "Hey, someone tells me if Rain wakes up, yeah?" I called down the stairs.