Chapter 24

I woke up the next morning in long, flannel pajama pants and a black tank that I didn’t quite remember putting on. My bedroom door was closed and I was wrapped up in three layers of blankets on my fluffy bed. I spastically untangled myself from the sheets before walking to my bathroom. My mirror showed me that my hair was pulled up into a very messy and tangled ponytail; when did I do all of this?

I could hear John’s heart in the kitchen while he softly hummed some tune to himself. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before deciding to accompany him. Upon opening my door, the sunlight nearly blinded me for the rest of eternity. I moaned a bit before determining there was no point in returning to my cave.

“Looks like the dead do walk,” John chuckled. I glared at him and growled a little as I lugged my feet across the cement. “I’d say I’m happy you got your beauty sleep, but it’s not very reflective of the outcome.”

“Jonathan,” I sighed. “Stop trying to be funny; you’re no good at it.” I reached the sofas and flipped over the back of John’s; landing on the soft cushions. “I need someone to yell at, or hit,” I mumbled to myself. “EDWARD!” I yelled.

“You could have just called,” he sighed from the TV. I looked over to see the ginger standing by the TV… not sitting in it.

“How’d you get out of the TV,” I frowned, rolling onto my side so I could stand up easier. I walked up to him and tilted my head to the side. “Hologram?” He just smirked at me, testing my patients; I didn’t have any today. I pulled my fist back and before he could protest I slugged him in the stomach. He curled over in pain and I rolled my eyes before throwing myself on the nearest piece of furniture; it was Ed’s couch. “John, Eddie’s over!” I called in a gravelly voice.

“I knew that Kat,” John smirked, walking in with a plate of mac and cheese.

“You need to work on your people skills Katrina,” Ed groaned before standing up and fixing his tie. He was in a very green suit with matching tie and hat. His cane was nowhere to be seen and I was, quite frankly, happy about that.

“Says the person who shows up unannounced.” I closed my eyes and tried to run a hand through my hair before deciding that wasn’t going to help anything. I don’t know why I felt so drained, and it worried me.

“I announced myself, you were just too busy sleeping,” Ed countered. I lifted my head the slightest bit to get my mood across to him in a single glare.

“John why am I in clothes I don’t remember putting on and so tired?” I whined to the man in jeans and a white button down. He swallowed his mouthful of macs before answering me.

“You didn’t put them on,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Excuse me?” I slowly sat up and stared at him in near horror.

“Don’t look at me like that Kat; I haven’t had a test subject in days,” John teased before taking another bite.

“Jonathan Whatever Crane!” I shrieked. “What are you saying? How. Did. I. Get. In. These. Clothes.” I snarled, daring him to stall any longer.