Chapter 30

I woke up to the sound of arguing.

“You sent who to pick her up last night Edward?” Luna was hissing at him in what she thought was a quiet voice.

“She was in no real danger Luna,” Ed sighed. “Jonathan knew what was going to happen and was in agreement with me.”

“Then you’re both imbeciles!” I could hear her arms hit her sides; she must’ve been motioning with them. “Hush is one of her main causes for any fear and anxiety, and you sent him to go get her? Were you out of your mind?”

“Luna, they were the only two who could effectively get in without detection. Basil’s so concerned about pay that I knew he’d keep Hush from doing anything drastic to her.”

“You’re unbelievable,” she growled.

“What’s unbelievable is your reaction to all of this,” Ed scoffed. “She’s perfectly safe, aren’t you Kat?”

“I’m perfectly safe, and yet I’m still tired,” I chuckled. Luna was probably red in the face now that she knew I was up for a good portion of their discussion.

“Kat!” A high pitched squeal came from a room nearby. I lifted my head over the back of the couch to see Echo prance out of her room in a leotard and fishnet stockings; she was holding her shoes in her hands.

“Hey,” I smiled sleepily.

“What are you doing here?” She raised an eyebrow at Edward before sitting down on the arm of the sofa near my feet.

“Jail break,” I muttered, falling back on the cushions. “Where’s Johnny and Jason?”

“They’re supposed to have broken out earlier this morning,” Ed sighed. His footsteps were getting louder and before I knew it he was standing in front of me. “They should be picking you up before too long.”

“Thanks,” I snorted. Ed’s forehead wrinkled in frustration.

“I could have just as easily left you there Kat. You should be a little more gracious.” Edward’s voice had gotten low and hostile.

“Oh stuff it Eddie,” I rolled my eyes. “You sent Hush; I’m entitled to being upset.” He stayed silent after that and swiftly returned to his office.

“You upset him,” Echo laughed.

“Too bad, he had me kidnapped by Hush and Basil.” I flipped onto my stomach and quickly fell back asleep.

--

I'm gonna leave my body

 (moving up to higher ground)

I'm gonna lose my mind

 (History keeps pulling me down)

Said I'm gonna leave my body

 (moving up to higher ground)

I'm gonna lose my mind

 (History keeps pulling me, pulling me down)

My hand shot out to the table my phone rested on and opened the call.

“What do you want?” I growled into the receiver on instinct.

“What’s got you so upset? Did I wake you up,” Tim chuckled. My eyes snapped open. “How about we meet up today? I mean, you did just make a jail break.”

“I was kidnapped, check your information,” I groaned before sitting up.

“Same difference to Batman,” he sighed. “So, where should we meet today?”