Chapter 44

My fingers hovered inches from the Kryptonite. Through my headache I was aware of a third heartbeat. Their breathing was loud and irregular and it came from higher up than was humanly possible.

"I see you." The voice was not Bruce's.

"Oh, come on boy scout," Selina purred her words. "I'm not touching your rock. Surely Metropolis can part with a few tiny stones."

"Metropolis lent them in good faith to Gotham, I cannot allow you to remove them from this building."

Their banter was too short, too rehearsed; they knew I was there. I expanded my senses to the lower floor, trying to feel out any potential threats. There weren't any bodies, but there were plenty of electrical panels and alarms that would be easy for me to trip. I focused on the security desk directly under us and surged the system. And audible pop came from the computer. Superman and Selina stopped talking seconds before the backup system rang alarms throughout the building. Selina jetted from the room and Superman followed her allowing enough of a distraction to grab the rock.

My fingers could not wrap completely around the rough piece of Kryptonite. It felt like I was holding the heaviest softball in my life; not that it was round or shaped like one, but it's about how much grip I had on the thing. Turning from the table I ran for the front door I entered through. I didn't bother with the stairs, instead I jumped over the pretty barrier and landed on the floor feet-first. I made it out the broken door and around the corner on my right when the police vehicles shone bright headlights on the building. Superman floated down from the sky with Selina retrained in her own whip; she looked less than pleased.

My grip tightened on the stone involuntarily when Superman landed only fifteen feet away from my position. His posture changed for a brief moment, like he was in pain, before handing Selina to the police officers. I smirked to myself as I walked right past him and the cars; staying just on the other side of the light. Simple.

I arrived at the warehouse a little over an hour later. Andres and Detire were waiting patiently on either side of the doors. I lifted a hand and placed the diamond swirl back into position so that they were able to see me. Detire offered a hand as I ascended the stairs while Andres opened the door.

Ra's stood just inside the doorway with Lex Luthor by his side. The two men were passing casual conversation, based on how lax their postures were. Lex's suit remained in its bloodied and disheveled state.

"I have returned."

Ra's' eyes first met my own before falling to the rare rock still firmly in my grasp. His words filled the room slowly, sending shivers over my spine. "Good girl, you have greatly pleased me."

My bow was deep and slow. Once I stood upright Ra's stood two feet away with Lex on his left. He carefully took the Kryptonite from my hand and slowly looked it over before handing it to the man beside him. His face remained stoic, but Lex's smile was evident in his eyes.

"A pleasure doing business with you, as always, Ra's." Luthor pocketed his new accessory with one hand as he lifted one of mine with his free hand. "I hope to see you soon, Katrina."

"Actually, Mister Luthor, I have another request of you." The Demon's eyes had a way of burning into you when you didn't look at him. I kept my eyes on the business man who currently had my hand in his grasp. "There's been a slight change of plan. Her future has arrived earlier than expected. I would appreciate if you would take her back to Gotham with you."

"This evening?" Lex's voice rose in question.

"Yes, but not immediately. First she must be prepared for her return home."