12) FOOLS

Chapter Twelve
-FOOLS-

I am tired of this place, I hope people change
I need time to replace what I gave away

"Did your mum give you any crap when you got home the other day?" Phil asked, as he and Dan walked down the park path, hands intertwined and swaying between them, though Phil guessed that Dan would've told him had he encountered any trouble.

"Didn't even notice I was gone." Dan shrugged. Before Phil could say anything in reply, Dan gestured to a couple on a bench who were staring at them in a less than friendly sort of way. "They don't seem particularly happy that you and I are enjoying our stroll in the park," he commented.

"Plenty of people like that around here," Phil replied, squeezing his hand, "Does it bother you?"

"Of course it bloody well bothers me," he said, kicking the dirt, "Why can't people just accept that some people are different and get over themselves? I mean, what's it to them who I—" He coughed. "Who I choose to spend my time with?"

Phil couldn't help the way his heart sank when Dan hesitated, before describing them in vague, almost romance-less terms. He pushed past it. "Wanna make out in front of them?" he asked.

Dan looked over at the couple then back at Phil. "I believe I would enjoy that, yes."

Phil pulled him in, kissing him. Dan and Phil giggled pulling away as they noticed the couple get up and leave.

"Well that was mild," Phil commented, "I've been cussed out in the middle of a shop checkout before," he recalled.

"That's so fucked up," Dan said, frowning.

"I hate this town." Phil sighed. "My family's the same way." He looked down. "I...heh," he smiled despite there being nothing humoring about the situation. He shook his head. "Yet, i still miss them."

Dan knocked his shoulder against Phil's. "They're your family. They've gotta come around eventually. You're their son." Dan tried not to think about how empty the reassurance was, considering his own mother.

Phil sighed, picturing his mum, dad, and brother. "I hope so."

And my hopes, they are high, I must keep them small
Though I try to resist I still want it all

They continued to walk, hands swaying between them.

"We'll get out of here eventually," Dan spoke. "You and me."

"Oh yeah?" Phil asked, smiling.

"Just 6 more months then we're free to go wherever we want."

Phil was watching at him as he spoke, completely captivated by him. He was just happy Dan was thinking about the future in a somewhat positive light.

"Where do you wanna go?" Phil asked.

Dan smiled softly, a glimmer of hope in his eye. Phil thought Dan was he prettiest thing he'd ever seen. "Home," he answered.

Phil smiled softly, definitely understanding the sentiment of that. "Maybe we could go together," he mused.

Dan looked over at Phil. Watching him, Phil could almost tell exactly what was happening in his mind. He smiled, possibly picturing being with Phil for that long. Then something occurred to him, a doubt, a fear, and his smile vanished. He looked away. "Maybe," he replied, trying to mask the fear in his voice, but Phil could hear it.

I see swimming pools and living rooms and aeroplanes
I see a little house on the hill and children's names
I see quiet nights poured over ice and Tanqueray