Lies My Mother Told Me

******************************************PROLOGUE****************************************************

It all started with that one question. The one question that a mother will have to answer in some point of her life. The one question that every mother lies about the first time they are asked. The one question that is one of the most hardest question for a mother to explain the first time. That one question that involves a lie about a stork. We have all asked our mothers this question. And eventually they told us what it REALLY meant. But not my mom. She had a different way of explaining it.

"Mom, where do babies come from?"

The first time I asked my mom that question was when I was four. We both sat down on the my little bed covered in stuffed animals whilst she was tightly braiding my hair for my Aunt Holly's wedding. It was my first wedding and I was so excited. When my mom told me the news I  immediately started dressing up my dolls for the occasion. I held my baby Abby in my hands trying to do the same hairstyle my mom was doing on me to Abby. It wasn't working so well because her hair was course and tangled. I threw Abby on the floor frustrated.

"Mom? Where do babies come from?" I said not pronouncing every word correctly. She suddenly stopped the comb in the middle of my hair and stared at me. She bit her lip nervously, probably wondering what lie she could come up with fast. She obviously was not prepared for the moment.

I wanted my own baby. I loved my dollies. But i was tired of cuddling and feeding cabbage patch kids. I wanted a baby that would giggle when I tickled their tummy. I wanted a baby that would crawl over to me by itself. So I asked my mom how to get one.

"Well honey, there are special little beans about the size of a bead. The mommy eats the bean and then the baby starts to grow in the stomach," she said beginning to comb out my hair again.

"Where do you get the beans, mommy?" I said fiddling around with my fingers that were covered in red marker from the card I had made for Aunt Holly.

"Well only mommies like me know where the store you can buy the beans are. And when you grow up and you want a baby I will tell you where that store is." I smiled. I knew someday I would get my own baby.

As the years went past I forgot about the bean story my mom told me. I asked her again when I was 12. The school nurse one day came into our class and started telling us some things and we started watching some strange videos with vomit worthy photos. I was so confused. So I figured I would ask my mom about it and maybe she would explain things better. I caught my mom pouring boiling hot water from the tea kettle into her Disney World mug. I sat down on the cushioned stools adjacent to the island table in the middle of the kitchen.

"Good day at school?" she asked dipping her tea bag in the mug. I took a loose piece of hair out of my face and tucked it behind my ear.

"Mom? Where do...um...babies come from?" I said awkwardly. She told me another lie. But I did not know it was a lie. I thought everything my mother told me was true.

"Well, when your in love with someone you guys both decide if you want a baby or not. And if the answer is yes you guys can go to a doctor and take a blood test. In the blood test they take the boy's DNA and injects it into the girl. And the baby grows in your stomach." she was obviously prepared for when I asked her.

When I got to High School I was VERY confused. And did some wrong things that weren't my fault. But my mom's fault. I'm Summer, join me in my story as I unravel the real answers to the lies my mother told me.