Chapter 25:

Recap:

                “No!” two cries shouted in unison. My head immediately looked in the direction of the cries only to see Mrs. Shaw kneeling over a dead body, and that is about the time my heart dropped out of my chest only to come crashing down into my stomach causing me to see black.

**

                I couldn’t see who Mrs. Shaw was kneeling over, but when she stood up she had a satisfied look on her face before she went to a boy sitting up right beside the dead body. I think it was Danny, but before I could really look, Will jumped over the boy and kneeled by the dead man.

                “He didn’t deserve to die! He was a good guy! He helped me!” Will screamed. I think he was close to tears, but then he looked up and his eyes changed color; His face had a determined look. He stood up, and walked calmly over to Steven who was just leaning against a car killing whatever wolf came his way. My ears and eyes were strained because I was trying to see and hear everything that happened during the fight, so I think Will said, “I challenge you again. No tricks, no help, just me, and you.” But it also could have been something about a champagne, waffles and cards. Steven gave a reply that I couldn’t hear, but as if the answer to my question all fighting stopped and a ring of red coal surrounded Will and Steven.

                “I said no tricks.” Will yelled at Steven.

                Steven replied, “This is no trick. This is the challenge ring! You properly challenged, and I accepted. The last time you just attacked me, and I was stupid enough to believe Luke when he said you were dead. As for Luke’s death it was unavoidable. He was not trying to kill Danny; he was trying to knock him out of the way from one of the rogues. Mrs. Shaw killing him was a --” He didn’t have time to finish before he was lying on the ground dead. My eyes didn’t even notice Will move, he moved so fast, but know that I think about it; it was a smart idea. Why wait till after they are done talking if you can kill them when they’re being stupid enough to talk? My eyes immediately looked away because death is not a pretty sight, and this day would haunt me forever. Is it horrible to feel sad and happy over death?

                I watched out the window as all the people that had fought with Steven ran away. Jake didn’t do anything about it he was too busy going around checking all the wolves for a pulse, just like most of the other unharmed people. He came to a stop in front of a large copper colored wolf that was not moving. I stopped breathing for a whole minute just watching him cry, but then I came to my sense and jumped up from my seat at the window and ran out of his room. I nearly jumped down the stairs as fast as I was going, and rushed out the door. The sight that greeted me was not what I was hoping for, but it was not as bad as I had imagined it. There were a lot of wounded wolves and people sitting on the porch while their pack doctor scurried around trying to help them all. I walked right past them and into the lawn. Mrs. Shaw, Jake, Danny, and Cooper were all gathered around the large copper wolf, letting out soft sobs of pain. My pace quickened, when I reached Jake; I hugged him from behind and he spun around and pulled me closer to him. I saw the man that Mrs. Shaw had killed as Jake turned me: Luke, but I also recognized the large copper wolf: Mr. Shaw. I didn’t speak a word I just held Jake. Well, he was holding me, but I was comforting him by letting him hold me. I stroked Jake’s back, and we just stood in that embrace for a while.

                “He did not want this, you know?” Jake said into my hair, “He did not want you and me to be mates because he thought we would have kids like Steven. He turned down the position of Alpha when they asked him to be because he did not want to be like Steven and become blood thirsty. I think I need time to think,” Jake turned to me. My heart was already breaking. What was he going to say? His face was so serious, “I’m rejecting—“