Chapter 8: Onstage Interviews

Laura's POV

My face turned red and I'm sure Ross' did, too. We realized we still had our arms halfway wrapped around each other and quickly drew them back, looking around the dressing room to avoid eye contact.

"Uhh..." Ross began. "We should get back to the interview, Laura. The fans are waiting to meet you," he finished.

I smiled and he smiled back. "I'd love to, Ross. Thanks again for doing this for me."

Our gazes seemed locked on the other's, grins wide, with heads slightly tilted. It was perfect until Riker had to interrupt, "So, should we go, or...?"

Right away I snapped back to reality, but it seemed like Ross continued to keep his eyes on me. "Yeah, of course."

I followed Ross to where R5 and Marissa were, my heart beating rapidly. It only increased when I stepped out from behind the curtain and into the spotlight. I hesitantly move to sit on the couch in between Ross and Rydel.

"So, Laura, why don't you introduce yourself to the R5er's here," Marissa gestured to the audience.

Did she just ask a question? I don't think I could hear properly over the pounding of my heart. Ross was sitting on my left and could apparently sense my uneasy state because he reassuringly gave me a small smile. I don't know what had me so tongue-tied, but that little smile sent shivers all over my body. My heart rate sped up even more and my head was spinning, but I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

I recollect myself and answer with, "I'm Laura Marano, songwriter for R5. I am eighteen years old and I've loved music for as long as I can remember. Meeting these guys was one of the best days of my life because they totally changed me. Seeing that I was also able to help them write made me realize that songwriting was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I guess I just needed someone to bring that out of me," I tell Marissa, who was sitting on my left in a director's chair on the other side of Ross.

When I was waiting for the next question, I could see, from the corner of my eye, Ross give me a look showing love and appreciation. I have to admit, it feels much more rewarding to be acknowledged than locked up in a stuffy dressing room.

I'm still shocked that Ross did all this for me. He really is my best friend. It's nice to have someone who cares about me this much in my life. In all honesty, after my parents told me to get lost, I thought my life was over. Not like the families that actually have money and the kids just happen to hate their lives because of stress, but I might not have been able to live if Ross didn't come my way. He turned my whole world upside down and I wouldn't be feeling so many emotions right now if not for him. Ross is always able to make me smile, like when he rescued me from the streets that day we met. It's just one of the limitless fantastic qualities of him.

"Okay, we're running out of time, so here's the last question: Why did you keep this all a secret? Didn't you want everyone to know the truth?"

Ross was the first to speak up. "Here's the thing. As I said before, Laura might not have wanted this, but a little while ago, she told me she did. It was actually something she wanted for a while, so I constructed this plan. We all know everyone expected our new single, but this was the perfect time to debut 'Me and You.' I know this meant a lot to Laura and I wanted to make it special, because she deserves it."

We heard some "aww"s from the audience, making me blush. I was never used to this much attention.

"Alright thank you, R5, for coming out and you too, Laura. It was a pleasure meeting you," Marissa went to shake my hand and everyone else's before we walked offstage.

My head was still buzzing. "Did that just happen? Was I really just on live TV because of Ross?!"

"Yeah, you were," Ross smiled down at me. Wait, I- oh, I said that out loud. Whoops.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't notice I was talking," I say, trying to laugh it off.

"It's okay. I know you must be tense. Fame is like taking a shot in the dark, but you don't have anything to worry about, you have me," Ross nudged my shoulder.

---

He was right, I'll have him right by my side the whole time. I never know what the future may unfold, but I know there's nothing much better than this.

I'm excitedly venting to Rydel when a man approaches us. "Excuse me, but are you Laura Marano?" the strange man asked.

"Yes?" I warily look at Rydel.

She shrugs with a puzzled expression as the man continues. "May I speak to you privately?"

I slowly nod my head and we walk a reasonable distance away from Rydel before he begins. "Miss Marano, you don't know me, but I'm from Big Machine. The record label."

I inhale sharply as time slows down. Someone from a record label was speaking with me?! Laura Marano? That mysterious songwriter from R5 who no one knew existed? Me?!

"It-It's a pleasure to meet you sir. What was it you wished to speak to me about?" I could feel my breath practically shaking.

"I am saying that you have some prominent talent, Miss Marano. I have recently conversed with my supervisors and they concur. We believe that you could be our newest recording artist! How would you like a record deal?"

Blank describes my mind right now because I don't think I'm breathing. Is this a dream? Nope, it's one hundred percent real. I was just offered a record deal! What should I say? How should I phrase this?! Ahh, I'm about to die of happiness!

***

Hey! It's been a while, but I'm here! Just a heads up, the next update won't come for a while because of Winter Finals. D: You might not hear from me until around Christmas, so until then, I hope you enjoy the last week of school and a... perfect Christmas!

Stephanie (yesifeelgoodr5)