Chapter Fifteen

Wednesday

I had nearly my entire closet packed away in the stupid suitcase, which was sitting mockingly on my bed. Chloe was on her way over, and Mum was...crying in her and Gerald's bedroom. It seemed like she never stopped crying since my Dad had sprung the news on her. Every time we made eye contact or she saw me, she started tearing up, and I was pretty sure she was always teary-eyed now a days. Colten had taken the news pretty roughly, though he'd been taking time off from his new job to spend every living moment he could with me. He couldn't get over the fact that I was leaving.

Breaking me from my reverie was Chloe, flying into my room at top speeds. She flung her stuff on my bed, "I can't believe we're leaving."

"Me either," I frowned, "I don't want to...and yet I do..."

"Well, don't worry, you'll see your Mum again, and Gerald too. It wont be long before you turn eighteen and we'll be able to leave and come home."

"Promise?"

"I promise," she laughed, "I'm actually kind of excited, y'know?"

"Nope, because I'm not," I snapped, glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I looked pissed, but besides that, I looked spoiled. I wore my best clothes, part of my Dad's orders. When my dad said to look nice, he meant it. If you didn't, not only would you be making a fool out of yourself, you'd also be proving that you were okay with being seen as trash. His words, not mine. I'd made the mistake a couple years ago, before everything had gone down hill, before I'd met Colten.

"Come on, Alice, try and make the most out of something that could be good for you," Chloe pleaded, "You're not the only one leaving people behind. Don't forget I have Graham and my Dad."

"You're leaving them willingly," I pointed out, she sighed.

"I don't want to fight, okay? I'm coming with because I can't stand to lose you. You're my best friend and I need you in my life. I will never not need you, so therefore, I need to come with. I can deal with the consequences later. I'm okay with that."

"You're my best friend too, Chloe," I took a breath, willing myself not to cry, this day was already going to be an emotional one without me starting it off crying.

"So, whens the demon going to be here?" she questioned, tousling her perfect blond curls.

"My Dad? Or Colten?" I rolled my eyes, "My Dad is going to be here at eleven, and Colten's on his way over."

"What do you think is going to happen with you and Colten's relationship?"

"To be honest, I don't know..." I shrugged, "I've been kind of questioning everything about us, like can we even make it through this? We've been through so much, and while I don't want to give it up on it, I also don't know if I can handle us anymore. There's so much backlash, in everything we do. I'm not exactly happy in the relationship anymore, there are so many things I need to know, but I wont know. He wont tell me about his mother, even though he knows everything about me. I just don't know anymore Chloe. I love him, but I don't know if I can keep up with a long distance relationship, I don't know if I can even handle this relationship."

Chloe looked awe-struck with me, she didn't say anything. Her eyes were then no longer focused on mine, but on something behind me. I cringed, shit.

I turned just in time to catch Colten's hurt look, before he took off, raging down the hall. I stood there, debating if I should go after him.

I looked at Chloe, before I heard his truck start outside. My eyes widened, and I started running for the door. The front door was wide open, and there were tire marks going down the road. Tears were forming in my eyes, but they never fell. This was my fault and I wasn't going to cry over it. Even if it was an accident. I pulled out my phone and dialed Colten's number, it went straight to voice mail.