The Truth

... No good. You fell asleep for a few minutes before waking up again. You sighed and sat up, stretching. Groaning, you felt something like a pit in your stomach, and it wasn't just from hunger. You had to tell him. The feelings. The memories. You don't know why, but you felt you HAD to tell Sans what happened since you woke up in the RUINS. You had a strange feeling that the only person who would believe you and understand was Sans.

You stood up and quietly opened the door before descending the stairs. The two skeletons were sitting on the couch, watching t.v. The moment you stepped onto the floor, Papyrus looked right at you and jumped off the couch. You stepped back, almost tripping up the stairs. You weren't ready for him to be so close to you again so soon. "HUMAN! ARE YOU READY TO TALK?"

Thump. You gripped the edges of your shirt to keep from grabbing your beating heart. "Y-yeah... But, um..." You shifted uneasily. "I-I um... K-Kinda want to uh... ta-talk to S-Sans f-for right now..." Your eyes turned downward as your voice drifted off. "OH. I SEE." You flinched when you heard his voice thick with disappointment. "I-I'm sorry P-Papyrus. I-It's just that um..."

"wait, i don't remember mentioning paps' name while you were conscious." You cringed. "O-Oh u-um... I uh..."

"YES HUMAN, HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?" It was one thing to hear Sans question you, but to hear it from Papyrus made you feel defeated. Your head hung lower and you tightened your grip on your shirt. Great. Good job [Y/n]. Now how are you going to be able to talk with Sans alone?

"... hey papyrus. aren't we kind of low on spaghetti?"

"SANS? WHAT ARE YOU-?" You looked up to find Sans giving Papyrus a very serious look. Not a glare, just a look. "WELL, I SUPPOSE WE ARE. I'LL BE HEADING OUT FOR A BIT NOW." Papyrus reached for the front door and half of you wanted to call him back. But you didn't. Papyrus left and you felt as though he took a piece of you with him.

"huh. you didn't do that last time." You looked back at the floor at that. Sans turned to look at you with a wide grin. "so, what'd you want to talk about?" He asked and patted the cushion Papyrus had just been sitting on. You shook your head and shifted again.

"Um... Well... I... Uh..." You glared at the floor. Why can't I say anything?! "just calm down." You heard Sans say and sighed deeply, feeling your shoulders sag. "I've been having these weird... memories and... Whenever I look at someone, I'm overcome with some sort of strong feelings. Heck, I somehow had this feeling that I should only be telling you this, but I don't know why. And..." You looked up at Sans. "There's something about... time. You just said 'last time'. Someone else mentioned 'this time'." You squinted. "Please, can you... explain this? I'm so confused. I don't understand any of it." You could feel tears stinging your eyes, threatening to fall. You raised one hand to rub the tears away. When you lowered your hand, Sans was right in your face, no longer smiling. You jumped a little and Sans chuckled. "heh. sorry 'bout that pal." He said with a side-long glance before looking serious again.

"it's... pretty difficult to explain, but... there are these timelines. every time the timeline changes, it's like the world resets and no one remembers the previous timeline. no one except for me." Sans stepped back a little, furrowing his... brows? Somehow, this actually made sense to you. "So, I'm remembering my past feelings and memories?" Sans nodded. You felt your heart lighten to finally understand. You were so happy and yet fearful of yourself at the same time. That means... You... You killed... You couldn't stop the tears. "Sans... I-I'm so, so sorry..."

You felt Sans wipe away your tears and hug you. If you weren't right up against the stairs, you would've jumped back. Wait, were Sans and I... You searched your past memories, but couldn't find anything like that. "Um..." Sans let go at your voice and he seemed to be blushing... blue.

"well, thanks for opening up, buddy. i'll be sure to tell papyrus for ya." You shook your head and smiled softly. "Thanks Sans, but I'm going to go look for him right now." You walked over to the door and waved at Sans before closing the door after you, leaving the short skeleton to stare after you blankly, wishing for some way to change your feelings for Papyrus and to have you look at him instead.