Daddy's Little Girl-11

A/N Hey guys! Sorry this is so late! I've been away so I have had very little wifi and I had to talk to my librarian about this story. I almost ended it at this chapter. He convinced me not to though so don't worry there are a few more chapters in this! Anyway, enough of my babbling. Enjoy!

**********

I am sitting in court, my father is sitting at the defense Tavel, I am sitting at the prosecutor's table. Ryan is on the witness stand. A man in a suit is asking Ryan questions and he answers then calmly. I try to listen to what he is saying.

"So Ryan, please explain what has been going on for the past seven months since Megan died."

"Well, Ethan has been very supportive of us, letting us have time to mourn. He is already getting Maggie and I signed up to begin public school come September and he helped Sam start to look at colleges. Sadly, when Sam committed suicide we had to forget about those plans and we are still mourning." He answers. Wait, what? Supportive? Help? Ryan what are you talking about?! As if reading my thoughts, Ryan looks directly at me, no, directly through me. But his eyes, they are empty of emotion. Why is he telling these lies?

I turn to look at my father, only to find that he is grinning maliciously right back at me. Something in his eyes says that he knows that he has won and I will die because I made this public.

The judge bangs his gavel and calls attention. He announces the verdict. Innocent, again. This time, I don't have Ryan or Sam to protect me. I'm all on my own. We are released and I try to find Ryan while avoiding my father. I track him down on the lawn outside the front of the courthouse and I nearly tackle him.

"Ryan what were you thinking? Why would you tell them that he has been helping us? All he has done is hurt us! And Sam's suicide? You know that he was murdered! And you know who he was murdered by! Why would you lie about that Ryan? Why?" I sob.

"Maybe I did it to save my life Maggie! Maybe I did it because you don't deserve to win! You should finally know how it feels to be in pain! I did so much for you Maggie! This time I just wanted to do something for myself! Don't I deserve that much?" Ryan screams.

"Ryan you killed me! By the end of tonight I will probably be dead! Maybe I didn't deserve to win but do I deserve to be dead?"

"It would be fair! Sam had to die because you couldn't listen! You didn't know how to behave and Sam had to die! Your mother died because you didn't save her! You have been the cause of too many deaths to deserve life! You almost had me killed as well! I have almost died for you more than once Maggie! I'm sick of being your knight in shining armor!"

I can't speak. I can't defend myself anymore. It's true. It is my fault. I guess I really don't deserve to live.

I turn away from Ryan. I walk calmly back to my house and upstairs to my bathroom. If I have to die, I refuse to give my father the satisfaction of doing it himself. I take out a new razor. I pull off the plastic covering and press it to my skin, just as I slice open my arm, I wake up.

I bolt upright screaming with tears streaming down my face. I look around for my light switch and I am about to turn it on when I see a dark shadow by my closet and I scream again. A hand flies over my mouth to muffle my voice and I bite down. Hard.

"Ouch! Maggie what the hell was that for?"

"You scared me! What were you thinking, sneaking into my room? Why are you even here? You left. I don't want you and I don't need you. Get out." Tears start to roll down my face and he must know I'm lying. He takes my face in his hands and shoves his lips against mine.

"I'm sorry Maggie. I made a mistake." I can feel wet tears rolling down his cheeks too.

It burns me to turn away but I can't let him do this to me. "I'm sorry Ryan, but I can't."

"Maggie please forgive me! I made a mistake. I should have never said those things. You have gone through pain, just as much as I have if not more because of your father. You lost your parents too. One to death, the other to insanity." Ryan begs.

I shake my head in the darkness, even though he can't see me. Tears roll down my cheeks as I remember all of those things he said in my dream. They were true. And even if it was just in my head, once it was said it can never be taken back. Those few sentences will never leave me, they will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I feel Ryan's hand on my cheek, wiping away my tears. "I suppose I can't fix everything though. I'm sorry. When terrible things happen, it doesn't just effect me or you. I think we are both guilty of forgetting that." I don't say anything so he continues. "So I think that we need to stay together, so we can always remember. Please Maggie, you're killing me with this silence."

"Well Ryan, I've been dying every day since my mother died, you're just catching up I suppose." The silence presses in the space between us and I know that I have ruined something between us. At this point though, I'm just too empty to care. My heart has been broken too many times by people who were never supposed to hurt me.

Finally, after what seems like hours, Ryan sighs deeply. "Maggie please don't be this way. You're all I have left. I can't lose you too."

"You lost me a long time ago Ryan, I don't know why you're just realizing it now." I want to fight my mouth right now, just shut up. I can feel my comments cutting Ryan's heart and I'm just twisting the knife deeper and deeper but I can't stop.

"No Maggie. You lost yourself a long time ago. I have been trailing behind, finding all of those pieces and bundling them up, trying to patch you. If you don't let me fix you then one day there won't be anything left. I admit, I have taken pieces from you as well but I have tried to pick them back up and stitch it back. But I'm missing the final part, the thread."

But the thread is gone. We both know it though neither of us can say it. That thread, the one that has been getting thinner and thinner since my mother drowned, snapped the moment the bullet sliced my brother's heart.

I don't say another word. Quietly, I get up and walk across the room to the window. Slowly, I slide it open and slip through. I don't look back to see if Ryan is following. I know he will be. I crawl across the roof and as quietly as possible, I jump from the roof by my window to the roof over the small porch and from there to the ground.

The grainy, soft sand feels good between my toes and I walk towards the soft sound of waves crashing on the beach. I close my eyes and drift towards it. The waves lick my toes, then my feet as I continue walking into the warm water. I don't hear splashing behind me and I know that Ryan has stopped walking. I slowly turn and I see where he stands at the edge of the water, trying to figure out what I'm doing. I walk further in until water surrounds me up to my waist. I start to laugh uncontrollably, hysterically. So this must be what it's like to go insane. I think to myself suddenly.

I slip under the black water and it feels so good that I don't want to leave. I stay under, pushing with my arms so that I do not bob up to the surface. The water feels like silk against my body and I feel oddly calm, like nothing can hurt me. My throat starts to burn but I ignore it, determined to stay under, determined to stay safe forever. My lungs cry for oxygen but I have to ignore them. Once I break the surface, this serenity will be shattered. When the dark edges in my mind appear, I laugh and welcome them. Why on Earth would Ariel want to leave this sanctuary? Things are better under the sea. With that, the world goes dark, out like a light.

**********

A/N Hope you guys all enjoyed that chapter it's kind of sad at the end. Don't worry this is NOT the end of the story! (Though I cannot confirm Maggie's fate) Thanks for reading!

Love,

Eryn <3

P.S. I will try to get another chapter up ASAP but I only get acess to wifi once a day for only a few minutes so I can't guarantee when it will be up. Sorry!