Love is a Wound - Chapter 26

This is a horrible chapter, sorry, but Gifford is a horrible human.

Guy drifted through the next two days like a man sleepwalking. He shouted, he threatened, he punched and on one occasion he slit a stroppy peasant's ear in two, but he did it all as a man looking down on someone who did not appear to be him.

And once the Sheriff's business was completed, he forced a hard pace upon his men in an effort to return to Nottingham without delay.

His mind no longer dwelt on his own injustice at the hands of Vasey and Gifford; his injured pride and his humiliation had become secondary considerations. Now he thought only of how bleak life would be without Katherine. His mind and body had spent so long pursuing her that the very thought she was no longer even remotely attainable filled him with a deep sadness. Deeper even than the despair he had felt when Marian had left him at the altar.

He still would not let his mind stray to what Katherine herself would have to endure.

He was lost in these thoughts when one of his men shouted, ‘Rider ahead!’

Suddenly they were all alert, but it soon became apparent that it was one of Vasey's men. He and his horse came level with Guy. ‘The Sheriff says you're to go to Hindelford Manor, Sir. Pick up a couple of packages from Gifford.’

* * * * * * * * * ** * * ** * * * ** * *

Guy ordered his men to wait for him at the top of the lane. His visit, he was certain, would be short and unpleasant. At first sight there did not appear to be anything different about the Manor House or Estate, but as Guy drew nearer he saw there was a marked change in the attitude of the people he passed. Previously the looks had been open, curious. Now they neither raised their heads nor cast a guarded glance in his direction. Close to the house, two men were repairing a fence. They turned away as he passed.

The sights and sounds around the Manor brought back bitter sweet memories. He had forgotten how loud and clear the birdsong was. He looked across at the door of the building in the courtyard and remembered that this was where he had first laid eyes upon Katherine. As always, the thought of her stirred him.

Soon he entered the room in which he had proposed to her for the first time. He wandered about touching the objects as if doing so could bring him nearer to her. He noted, however, that there was no longer a scent of lavender, nor cheering vases of flowers or evergreens. It was now merely a building.

Gifford came blustering into the room with two packages in his hands. He eyed Guy warily. Following him was a maid with wine and Guy watched as she walked stiffly to the table, placed the tray upon it and began to pour the wine into the goblets.

‘Leave it be, and get out,’ Gifford said roughly to her. She did as she was ordered, not once raising her eyes. ‘Stupid b***h,’ said Gifford loud enough for the retreating woman to hear.

Guy found himself becoming annoyed on behalf of the servant. When had he ever cared before how they felt? Having served himself with wine, he watched as Gifford placed a necklace, made of large red stones set in gold, into the unsealed package. Gifford caught Guy's gaze and preened. ‘Two little gifts for Katherine. They will soon get her to change her mind,’ he said smugly.

I doubt it, that necklace is as hideous as you.

He said nothing, just allowed himself to think about how he would adorn Katherine's neck given the opportunity. A simple black ribbon - one that he could untie for her and then kiss where it had been.

Gifford's voice brought him back from his pleasant dream. ‘Make sure you take good care of that necklace, it cost a fortune.’

Katherine's fortune.

What choice did he have, but to nod?

There was silence as Gifford sealed the package and Guy felt compelled to talk to fill the unnatural quiet that seemed to permeate the house.

‘No Foster this morning?’ he asked.

Gifford simply grunted a 'No'.

‘And the old dog, in the hall,’ Guy continued, ‘I see you finally got it to move.’

Gifford laughed, a nasty, dry laugh, ‘Well they tend to do that when you put a knife in their guts.’

He caught Guy’s shocked expression before Guy could hide it. ‘What? You think I was going to keep that great lump? Only animals I can stand are hunting dogs, the rest are a waste of money. Mind you there wasn't much difference between it being alive and dead. Certainly wasn't as hard to finish off as that b****y cat.’

Guy had to turn away to hide his expression. What was happening to him? Why did the death of some animals he barely knew make him feel sick to the bone?

Gifford had finished sealing the package and handed it and the smaller one to Guy. Both men walked out to where Guy's horse was tethered and Guy stowed the packages in his saddlebag. He was just about to mount his horse when Gifford spoke. He had a particularly nasty look in his eye.

‘Gisborne,‘he said, in a conciliatory tone, ‘I know you wanted Katherine ... let’s not fall out about this.’

When Guy did not reply, Gifford advanced on him and threw an arm around Guy's shoulder. Guy flinched.

‘Look, ‘ Gifford went on, all friendliness and cheer, except for that look in his eye, ‘Why don’t we make a deal - once I’ve had some months with her on my own … once I’ve got her with child … well, that’s if the b***h isn't barren … once I’ve done that, I’ll let you have a taste of her. Eh?’

For a second Guy could not believe what he was hearing.

Gifford leaned closer and whispered in Guy's ear.

‘A real taste of her, eh, Gisborne ... As long as I can watch.’

Guy hit Gifford hard straight between the eyes and he went down heavily, but he was a big, strong man and he had been expecting Guy to react in such a way. So he scrabbled around and kicked Guy's legs out from under him. Soon the two men were fighting on the ground, punching and kicking and tearing at each other.

Guy felt blood running down into his eye and heard his hand crack as it connected with Gifford's nose. He fought his way to his feet and pulled out his knife with his injured hand, moments before Gifford struggled upright too.

Guy hesitated an instant too long, debating whether to aim for Gifford's face or his chest and the delay gave Gifford sufficient time to wrench the knife from his grasp.

The two men stood glaring at each other, the knife in Gifford's hand. Then Gifford laughed and put the knife away.

‘Just think of her under me; under my friends; maybe even under her former servants.’

Guy let out a roar and lunged at Gifford again, but the man sidestepped neatly and Guy ended up face down in the dirt. He felt himself picked up and shoved against his horse.

‘Get on your horse, and get off my land,’ Gifford spat at him. ‘Give me any more grief today and you'll make it worse for her. Understand?’

That last word was accompanied by a hefty punch in the ribs. Guy had no choice. With some difficulty he mounted his horse and rode away.

But at the top of the lane, within sight of the soldiers he dismounted and, leaning over a ditch, vomited and vomited until he had nothing left to bring up.