Love is a Wound - Chapter 16

Katherine was sitting in front of Vasey. Guy was leaning against the wall, his arms folded, looking at her.

   ‘And as you can see Katherine,’ Vasey was saying in his silkiest voice, ‘this new will supersedes the previous one. Totally, I’m afraid.’ And then he gave a big smile to show that he was not actually ‘afraid’ about that, but in fact very happy.

   Katherine cast Vasey a withering look. ‘I ask you again to let the de Beaufort family lawyer attend me here to advise me on this matter.’

   ‘There is no need for that Katherine,’ Vasey said, firmly, ‘we have lawyers here who have all verified the authenticity of the later will. Besides your lawyer is indisposed. Fell off his horse, didn’t he, Gisborne?’

   Guy inclined his head in reply.

   ‘How do you know that?’ Katherine asked Guy directly.

   Guy went to open his mouth but Vasey simply said with some menace, ‘We know everything Katherine.’

   Katherine laughed bitterly. ‘And tell me, what does this new will say?’

   ‘Well, hard to believe though it is Lady Katherine, it appears Sir John wished Gifford to inherit the manor and estate.’

   Guy looked across at Katherine. Her face was impassive but Vasey’s, when he glanced that way, suggested he was irritated. He’d wanted to see surprise, anger or even sadness from her, anything other than this silence.

   ‘You are to be provided for,’ Vasey said, still studying Katherine. ‘An annuity and a house to be built on the estate.’

   That was the point when Katherine’s face did, momentarily betray what she thought of being Gifford’s tenant. Guy had to agree with her expression. But then he suddenly thought that she would not have to worry about that because, hopefully, very soon she would be his wife and Mistress of Locksley.

   Katherine seemed about to say something. Then she stopped and tried again, simply whispering, ‘I think this was badly done.’

   Sorry,’ said Vasey, ‘didn’t quite catch that my dear?’

  Guy shifted away from the wall, he wanted an end to this. He knew how Vasey liked to toy with his victims. Why, in addition to all else, humiliate Katherine?

  He saw her stand up abruptly ‘I wish to go to my chamber now please.’

 Vasey stood up too. ‘Of course my dear, I understand. One minute you are mistress of a fine manor and estate … the next you are, well, nothing. Off you go.’

  Guy watched her leave and then became aware Vasey was glowering at him.

‘Well, what are you waiting for? ‘ he asked. ‘She’ll take any offer now. Even one from you.’