6. Carved

“What is it?” My mother asked.

“Umm... about this place..” I answered. “Have I dated a blonde guy before?” I asked.

Everyone became silent. They all looked at me with wide eyes.

“Uhh..” My mom started then looked at Maura then at Louis then at Niall. “No.”

“Really?” I asked really surprised.

“Yes.” She answered.

“Cause I remember my first date here with a blonde guy. I think he’s my first boyfriend.” I said.

“You haven’t had a boyfriend… since before.” My mom said.

“Oh… Okay.” I smiled.

I swear I can remember this place. I looked around again and my eyes stopped when I saw the third booth at the west part of the restaurant.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“Carving our name.” The blonde guy answered.

“Wait! Is that allowed?” I asked again kinda worried.

“For me it is.” He smiled then continued carving.

Should I look if there is a carved name? I think I should… I stood up and walked towards the booth. I tried to find the carve. It was on the side of the table. Madison + what? There’s nothing written. Just my name. I sat down on the booth and touched the carved part of the table.

“Oh! The waitress is coming!” I whispered/shouted.

The guy stopped carving. He just looked at the waitress. Good thing she didn’t see him while carving.

A tear escaped my left eye. I smiled then stood up. I walked towards our table and sat down still looking at the booth.

“Are you alright?” My mom asked.

“I remember something again.” I answered. “Please don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not…” She said.

“You are…” I whispered loud enough for her to hear.

Tears streamed down my face.

“I dated a blonde guy before… Who is he?” I asked.

“I’m sorry… I can’t tell you.” Mom answered.

“Why?” I breathed out.

“Cause I want you to remember it by yourself.” She said.

“But what if I can’t remember anymore?” I asked her.

“I know you can Maddie… Don’t give up.” She answered.

I nodded vigorously.

“I also remember the blonde guy carving our names on that table.” I pointed at the booth where I sat awhile ago. “But he didn’t have time to carve his name because the waitress came.”

“You’re close.” Niall said.

I looked at him and smiled. He wiped my tears away then tried to calm me down.

After eating at Nando’s we all head back home. I went straight to my room and threw myself on the bed. I closed my eye but opened it again because of the knock I heard on the door.

“Come in!” I shouted loud enough for the person to hear.

The door slightly opened revealing a blonde guy… It was Niall.

“Hey.” He greeted shyly.

“Hi.” I greeted back while sitting up.

I patted the other side of the bed telling him to sit down.

He walked towards my bed and sat down beside me. I smiled at him and laid down looking at the ceiling.

“I’m glad you can remember those things.” Niall said.

I looked at him.

“What things?” I asked.

“You know… Nando’s and the booth and the carved name…” He answered.

“Oh.” I smiled. “Yeah… Who do you think that guy is?”

“I’m not sure… But I’m sure he loves you so much…” He smiled then looked at me.

“Lay down…” I said.

“What? No.” He laughed.

“C’mon were friends right?” I asked.

“Yeah…” He answered then lied down beside me.

I didn’t know what I was doing but I started moving closer to Niall. I placed my head on his chest. I entwined my fingers with his and intertwined my legs with his. I can hear his heartbeat. Seconds later his breathing became faster then it became normal. I looked at him and saw him looking at me with tears in his eyes.

“Why are you crying?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Nothing… I just… missed you… the old you.” He answered.

I wiped his tears away.

“I’m trying my best to become the old me again Ni.”