one

1.

"Hey Vi, can you go check on room 25 A? Someone said that the woman in there needed something." I hear from behind me, turning around I see the red headed nurse named Vicky walking with a different patient. I nod and mumble a 'sure' before putting down the clipboard I was currently holding and starting toward the second hall.

When at the destination, I unlock the heavy metal door and push it open. The small room shows no sign of anyone even being in here, but someone must've made the call to check on the patient in this room. Confused, I walk into the room more and look at the unmade bed. The pale blue blanket bunched up along the side of the wall. The thin pillow at the foot of the bed, rather than in its usual spot. It kind of bothers me some so I decide to fix it, I'd most likely be put on housekeeping duties anyways. I remake the bed, even if the attendant of this room will most likely get back into it when they return.

I straighten up the rest of the room, which isn't much. A few paperback books and sheets of paper with scribbles lay on the floor. I pick up the papers and can't help but glance at them, the dark pencil shading is in large swirls across the paper. There are white marks in the middle as if it were erased. My attention is captured by the sound of light scratching on the cement flooring. I put the items in the small cabinet beside the bed. I notice the corners aren't properly tucked in on the bed. Having a specific way to make all the beds gets embedded into your brain so by now it's a habit to go over to and do it how it's supposed to be properly done.

Just as I was bending over to fix the blanket, I felt a rough but cold hand grab at my ankle. Making me gasp at the sudden and cold contact. My heart picks up pace and I step away from the bed quickly looking down at the floor. I hear a light giggle and an arm quickly retreats back underneath the bed, and then I start putting the pieces together.

I get on my knees and bend to look under the bed. The space is small but there's enough room for a person to fit rather uncomfortably. I lift the blanket and see a woman hiding her face. Rosie I think her name is.

"Why Rosie, I didn't know you were down there. You scared me." I say and her hands move from her face, a smile across her lips and a glint of amusement in her eye. She starts to slide out of under the bed and I stand, offering my hand to help her. Her hands are cold and her nails are dirty but her smile is friendly.

Rosie is a lot slower at comprehending things, she was abused as a child by her father so her record says. All the abuse she's endured caused her brain to under develop. When she was thirteen her father had tried to rape her and she acted in self defence, hitting him in the head with a large book. Apparently the hit was hard enough to send the pervert into a coma he would never come out of, Rosie was found guilty of murder and because of her mental health she was sent here. She's not really dangerous, and wouldn't hurt anyone purposefully. I sort of empathize with her. She's misunderstood and confused, she has nobody in this world. Disregarding her reasons for being in here, I believe it's safer for her here anyways.

"Did I really?" She asks, the action reminding me of a six year old but I smile at her. "Of course you did, I was really shocked. I thought it was a ghost." I say and she smiles widely, then it suddenly drops. She tilts her head to the side and looks behind me. Her eyebrows furrow and she looks at me questioningly.

"It could have been a ghost, good thing it wasn't." She says. I look at her with wide eyes, she does the same and giggles afterward.

"Rosie, there's no ghosts here." I say and she shakes her head, I'm about to ask her how she knows which isn't very adult like but my curiosity is sparked. But before I get to question her statement, she speaks again.

"If you were scared then why didn't you scream?" She asks, I'm a bit taken back by this, my mind scrambling for an answer. "Well, because I'm only really scared of loud noises." I say and she looks at me for a few seconds before nodding. She sits with her back resting against her metal bed frame, facing away from me. I take a few steps back, closer to the door waiting for her to speak up, to see if she actually needed something. It's quiet for a few moments, so I clear my throat and ask her.

"Rosie did you need anything? I was told by someone to come up here and check on you." I ask her as she sits cross legged on the floor. Her head snaps up to look at me as soon as the words leave my mouth. Her eyes hold a look of fear, her hands begin scratching at her forearms nervously.

"Who? Who told you? What did he look like?" She demands as she turns and gets on her knees to look up at me, her words shaky yet the tone in her voice is chilling. I furrow my eyebrows but decide not to question her.

"It was Vicky, short woman with red hair." I describe, Rosie visibly relaxes and returns to her sitting position on the floor. I stand there quietly for a few more moments, waiting to see if she actually needs anything since she didn't respond. But by the looks of it I'm guessing she doesn't.

"Rosie?" I call out, her head turns to look at me and a smile breaks out on her face when she sees me standing in front of her.

"Oh hello, when did you get there?" She questions, looking back down at the cement floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Just a few minutes ago. Did you need anything before I leave?" I tell her, she tilts her head and puts her finger on her chin as if she's thinking. Not a minute later she shakes her head.

"Okay, either myself or someone else might come and take you for lunch soon." I say and walk towards the door. I turn around and she's getting up again, that look of fear returning to her eyes.

"Who's coming to take me? Don't let him take me please." She asks in a whimper, the wetness gathering in her eyes. I look at her with sympathy and shake my head.

"Nobody's coming to take you anywhere, another nurse or possibly even myself, will come in about an hour or so to bring you to the patient lounge for lunch and activities okay?" I tell her softly, her features soften but there's still doubt laced in.

"Do you promise?" She whispers, her thick hair covering her left shoulder, her brown waves half covering her pale face. The look in her dark blue eyes resemble a small child making sure there's no monsters in the closet.

"Yes, Rosie I promise." I say, she nods repeatedly and goes back to sit down. Her place being on the bed this time, I take the few short steps to the door and turn to lock it as it shuts behind me.

I'm walking to the main entrance when I'm stopped by Keith, a tall security guard with blonde hair and brown eyes. He's walking toward me with a folder in his hand.

"Hey Vi, Mr. Saunders wanted to speak with you." He tells me, a small smile on his face. I try to return one but being called to the headmasters' office is making my heart race and palms sweat. The possibilities of what he could want to see me for are endless and I just hope it isn't what I think it's for.

I make my way to Mr. Saunders' office, the big wooden door being only a few feet from me. The slightly flickering fluorescent lights above me barely light the way. As I stop in front of the large door, I take a few shaky breaths in and try convince myself that I'm not about to get fired.

I stare at the gold plating that reads out Mr. Saunders' name, I recollect my thoughts and fan my face with my hands to get the sweat that's almost starting to form to go away. I wipe my palms on my uniform, getting rid of any wrinkles and palm sweat. I adjust my cap before take two deep breaths.

"It's nothing serious." I whisper to myself. "I've been working here for almost three years, I'm a good employee." I repeat this in a low whisper as I prepare myself to knock.

My fist slowly rises to the wood and I wince as I knock lightly three times. A few moments pass and I begin to think he didn't hear me, and just as I'm about to knock again I hear his gruff voice from behind the barrier, a mumbled 'come in' deafening me as I open the door slowly.