thirty-nine

Mackenzie and the new Riley

[thirty-nine]

Mackenzie rolled her eyes when Riley asked yet another question to the doctor about a baby that wasn't even hers. She didn't even understand why Cassius felt the need to bring her to this appointment, it had nothing to do with her.

"Does the mother being a whore affect the baby in any way?" She asked the  doctor sweetly and Mackenzie fought the urge to reach over and rip her hair right out of her scalp.

The doctor choked a bit and stopped staring at the fetus on the screen. "Uh... No. Sex is fine during pregnancy just not strenuous and rough, that can cause problems to not the fetus, but to the mother."

"Heard that, girl?" Riley smiled at Mackenzie. "Stop fucking the homies before that baby come out with a dent in it's head."

"Cassius!" She exclaimed in shock, hoping he would cape for her.

Cassius only put his arm around Riley's neck and drug her into his chest, his eyes still captivated in the baby. Scoffing, Mackenzie turned to the wide-eyed doctor. She couldn't wait to get out of here.

"Oh! The baby is finally getting in the  right position. Are we ready to find out the sex?"

Cassius and I both spoke at the same, "Yes." I was anticipating my little boy. I was hoping he would come out looking like the twins, they were the cutest things. I would name him Cairo Thomas Hawkins and spoil him, giving him endless amounts of love. Cairo would have my chinky eye shape but Cassius's eye color. She wished for a skin tone like the twins' but a little darker with beautiful brown hair to accent it.

Riley felt Cassius grab on to her hand, she knew he just wanted her to feel apart of this. "And it looks like you are having a.... little boy! Congratulations guys."

Mackenzie beamed with excitement and happiness as she cleaned her stomach off. "Do we have any names already?" The doctor wondered. "Oh, I have to speak to the dad about them but I have a few in mind."

"Congratulations again. Stay safe, eat healthy."

She waved goodbye and followed Riley and Cassius out of the office. When they made it to the hallway, Riley stopped walking, she couldn't keep up with Cassius's fast walking and she couldn't help but notice his quick and sudden mood change during the announcement of the gender.

Mackenzie looked at the both of them. "It's a boy. Like I said it would be." She started, holding an ultrasound picture in her hands. She handed it to Cassius and he took it, staring at it deeply. "I'm thinking the name should be Cairo but I don't know. I also have been looking into at home births. I know it's pretty late to get into this, but I know this is something I want to do. I even know the perfect midwife."

"I want a junior." Cassius replied, shooting down her fanasty baby boy dreams. So much for Cairo Thomas.

"Okay that's fine. I also want to talk about child support." His eyebrow rose at her revelation and she quickly dug into her purse and pulled out an array of papers. "Cairo— I mean Junior is going to need Pampers, bottles, clothes, a crib, two strollers, a car seat, and at home births are expensive."

"Don't you have your little fashion line?" Cass eyed her. That was the point of him helping her get that clothing line, so he wouldn't have to pay for every single thing she needed, she would have money in her own pockets.

"Yes but... it's not doing that good. It's going to take both of our incomes to support the baby."

Cassius's phone vibrated in his hand and he read the name before excusing himself. "Baby talk to her, I gotta take this." He mumbled, patting Riley's butt and walking away.