quatre

Riley's POV

My life was now catorgized into two different sections. BH and AH. Before Him and After Him.

Before Him my life was simple. I had a routine. I woke up in the morning, I got ready for school, I walked to school, I got home, I made dinner if mom was working late, I did my homework, took a bath, sleep. Then repeat. There was no constant phone calls from a man who demanded my attention and there was no bruises on my skin to remind me of the times I didn't give him my attention.

After Him was basically living in fear. The heartbreak was still there, it hurt knowing he never loved me. The look on our children's faces, the faces that looked just like his. And just when I was getting over him and growing as a person, he comes back in my life.

"Are you sure about this?" I hounded Ahlex for the one hundredth time. She thought that we should just go ahead and take the kids to see him. I was still a little weary about it.

Ahlex placed down the scissors in her hand and looked at me. "Yes Riley! There will be other inmates and families, plenty of protection, games and presents for the kids! I'm telling you everything will be just fine." I bit my lip and kept my gaze on the table as she continued. "And you better come too!"

"Oh no, I'm not coming. Chandler will be there." I quickly shut that down, shaking my head negatively.

"And what exactly is he going to do to you? Lock you into his cell with him?"

I mean she's right but still. I don't want to see or talk to him. I don't care. The kids can go but like Mrs. White said, they don't need me there.

Caius and Julius came skipping into the room with happy smiles on their faces. I grabbed both of their arms gently and brought them towards me. "Can I ask you guys a question?"

"Hmmm.... Maybe." Caius told me, a smirk on his face. Rolling my eyes I looked over at Julius who cooperated like always. He nodded his head, mumbling softly, "You can ask us anything Mommy."

I smiled and ruffled his curls. "What if you guys..... I don't know...... met your daddy?"

"Like real daddy or uncle Chandler?" Julius looked honestly confused.

Ahlex let out a laugh beside me making me do the same. "Your real daddy, baby."

"Really mommy really?!" Caius exclaimed jumping up and down, his curls bouncing every which way. "That would be the best best besssst Christmas gift! Ever!"

"Yeah!" Julius yelled, cosigning with his brother.

My heart swelled a bit as I looked at them and honestly I felt guilty. Maybe I was keeping my kids from someone important in their life. I'd do this. Not for Cassius, not for me, but for them. My babies.

"Okay go tell your sisters then put on your shoes and jackets, Uncle Chandler is coming to get you guys right now." Ahlex ordered from her spot on the couch where she was gift-wrapping.

Caius and Julius pretty much listened to Ahlex just as they listened to me. She was like a second mom. And the same went for me to Jasmine.

I stood and walked down the hall, pushing into Asia's closed bedroom door, ignoring the STAY AWAY posters printed and pasted on it.. The eight year old who acts like a sixteen year old. She and Jasmine were laid out on her bed aimlessly watching the television.
Grabbing the remote, I cut it off to gain their attention. In a fast movement, Asia's head jerked up and her lips smacked. "Hey! I was watching that!"

"Don't care. I have something important to tell you." I sang.

Jasmine sat up lazily, her hair sticking up all over the place from the chill day we all had. She was such a carefree kid. I envied it because Asia and Caius were the complete opposite.