Fatal Containment - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lieutenant Commander Trevor Hanson stood outside Sandy Duval's cabin, a bouquet of vibrant flowers in one hand and a container of homemade soup in the other. He took a deep breath, steeling himself before pressing the button to announce his presence.

The door slid open, revealing Sandy Duval drying her hair. Her face lit up when she saw him, but there was a hint of worry in her eyes that Trevor couldn't ignore. "Trevor," she greeted, her voice filled with relief. "I didn't expect to see you. There is a marine guarding our door, and we're not allowed to leave our cabins."

Trevor offered her a warm smile, holding up the flowers and soup. "I thought you could use some company. And some decent food."

Sandy laughed, stepping aside to let him in. "You're a lifesaver, Trevor."

As Trevor set the flowers and soup down on a table, he took a moment to look around. The cabin was small and sterile, a far cry from the vibrant personality that was Sandy. He turned back to her, his smile fading slightly. "How are you holding up?"

Sandy shrugged, her gaze dropping to the floor. "As well as can be expected, I suppose. It's just... it feels like we're being held prisoner. And we haven't done anything wrong."

Trevor sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know. It doesn't seem fair, but the captain is just trying to keep everyone safe."

Sandy looked up at him, her eyes filled with determination. "But at what cost, Trevor? At the cost of our freedom? Our research?"

Trevor was silent for a moment, considering her words. He liked Sandy, and he couldn't bear to see her feeling trapped and discouraged. "I'll talk to the captain," he finally said. "I'll see if I can arrange for you to have supervised time in the computer lab."

Sandy's face lit up, a spark of hope in her eyes. "Really? You'd do that?"

Trevor nodded, reaching out to take her hand. "Of course. I'd do anything for you."

As Trevor left the cabin, his heart was warm, and there was a spring in his step.