Fatal Containment - Chapter 36

Chapter 36

On the bridge of the Dominion, Connor stood gazing out at the receding image of Jyeshta colony on the view screen. The ship had just completed their mission, delivering a cargo of Thedrozine to the beleaguered colonists. Gregor's disease had been spreading like wildfire, threatening to wipe out the entire population.

But thanks to the tireless efforts of Dr. Spinoza, they had managed to synthesize enough Thedrozine to treat all of the sick colonists and bring the epidemic to heel. It had been a race against time, but the crew of the Dominion had once again pulled together.

"Dr. Spinoza did an excellent job," Connor said, breaking the silence on the bridge. "Yes sir," Cheryl nodded her agreement from the science station. "The good doctor stayed on task while we were galivanting about, solving mysteries, taking down rouge mercenaries, and the like. If Madison hadn't stayed on this, we wouldn't have been able to save the colony."

The bridge crew all murmured their agreement. They had all seen the devastation caused by Gregor's disease and no one knew for sure if they had been able to synthesize enough Thedrozine to save the colonists. Especially given that the captain had taken a sizeable quantity down the mercenary's moon with him.

"Put in a commendation for Dr. Spinoza," Connor ordered his communications officer. "Word it such that the entire crew of the Dominion is grateful for his efforts and the efforts of everyone that helped. And that we're proud to have been a part of this mission."

The communications officer nodded and began to compose the message for the log. As he did, Connor turned back to the view screen. Mutara VI was now just a small dot in the distance as they set course for Mutara base orbiting planet two of the twin star system.

They had saved a colony. They had kept 'Project Containment' out of the hands of the mercenaries, and they had uncovered a plot by senior crew to betray the empire. And they had done it together. The crew of the Dominion had a lot to be proud of and Connor hoped that serving on the ship itself would inspire others to become the best versions of themselves. In the end, even captain Cantrell had atoned for his sins, even though Connor hated to dwell on the madness that had driven the man to put all their lives in jeopardy to salve his maddening desire to avenge his wife. At lease Owen and Elara were together now.

On the bridge of the Dominion, Cheryl was chatting quietly with Joseph Jones and Larson Toler. The crew was going about their duties, the hum of activity a comforting background noise. Suddenly, the communications officer turned towards Connor.

"Sir, we have a message coming in from Fleet Command by way of Mutara Base," he said.

Connor nodded. "On screen."

The view screen flickered to life, showing the stern face of Vice Admiral Patel. "Lieutenant Commander Connor," she began, her voice echoing around the bridge. "I am Vice Admiral Patel, commanding Mutara Base. After reviewing the recent events and based in no small part on the recommendation of Captain Owen Cantrell, the Office of Naval Personnel has decided to temporarily frock you to the rank of full Commander, effective immediately. You are to take official command of the Dominion until the promotions board can review the after-action reports."

A murmur of surprise and congratulations swept through the bridge. Connor felt a rush of pride and gratitude. He had worked hard for this, had proven himself capable of command. Had proven himself a true Terran. And now, it was official.

"Thank you, Admiral," Connor said, his voice steady. "I won't let you down."

"I know you won't, Commander," Admiral Patel replied, a hint of a smile on her face. "Congratulations. Mutara Base actual out."

The screen returned to showing the star field ahead, leaving the bridge in silence. Then, Cheryl turned to Connor, a wide smile on her face.

"Congratulations, Commander," she said, her voice filled with pride.

Command Master Chief Jones echoed her sentiment. "Well deserved, sir."

The control console next to his command chair displayed the official orders:

Commander (JG) Connor Zakariya Watson Leary, you are directed and ordered to report to the ISS Dominion, Hull Number CA 1071 to assume command with immediate effect. You are hereby frocked to Commander (SG) upon taking command. Commission letter will follow.
-Fleet Admiral Ntombazi Samukelisiwe and the
office of Naval Personnel

Connor nodded; his heart was full. "Thank you. Now, let's get back to work. We have a ship to run," he shot back, but had trouble keeping the smile from his face.

As the crew returned to their duties, Connor couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. He was now Commander Connor, officially in command of the Dominion. And she had a fine crew. He was certain that they would be ready for whatever challenges lay ahead. And as he fought to savor the good memories of Owen Cantrell's command, he remembered that this would be a good time for a battle stations drill.

Connor turned and pressed the 'All-Hands' channel on his control console.

"Battle Stations! All hands, this is a battle stations drill. Set condition Zulu."

And he sat back and clicked the start button on his chest chronometer.