Fatal Containment - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Commander," the out-of-breath ensign said. "I'm sorry, sir. I can't find Lieutenant Kinson anywhere, sir."

Connor grunted and moved to the nearest computer console and typed in a command that would instruct the computer to locate Cheryl. The computer should have been able to easily locate the last known location for the lieutenant. But it read that her present location was simply: UNKNOWN.

That, in itself, was alarming. Similar queries showed the exact present location of all other senior officers. Rather than upset the captain for what was likely to be a simple goose chase, he opted to go and find her himself. He decided to start with the brig. If she was there, he was going to tie her to the nearest wall and verbally paint her with a flamethrower. He valued her loyalty and ingenuity, but not disobedience to his direct orders.

Captain Cantrell walked over to Connor.

"Commander, please commence an electrical fire drill on Deck Eight, in the water delivery pump room, please. Instruct the men that the pumps have been disabled and that there is standing water."

The captain wore a small chronometer affixed above his right breast pocket, which he gently tapped to begin timing the drill. Connor knew he should report Cheryl's absence, but he also knew that he should be the one to discipline her. If the captain discovered that she had disobeyed his express orders, he would take it out on them both. He had worked too hard to keep his reputation as a valuable XO to let anything tarnish it. Connor wrenched his attention back to the present.

"Aye, sir," he said and issued the necessary orders. The captain walked around the compartment as he monitored the progress of the drill.

Somewhere down on Deck Eight, men were scurrying about to report and then attempt to contain the electrical fire. Electrical fires were tricky business because they couldn't be combated effectively using the normal fire suppression systems. The source had to first be neutralized. And standing water made the exercise much more fearsome, so the damage control team had to exercise caution.

Connor found the ensign manning the bridge engineering console.

"Ensign, call up the pump room schematics," he said calmly. He stole a glance at Cantrell, who was pacing and monitoring his timepiece.

"Got it, sir," Ensign Carter reported, her face intent on finding the proper circuit.

"Bridge, DAM-CON Four," came the voice from the communication bay. "We show the pump room is powered from Circuit Fourteen Alpha. Can you confirm?"

Ensign Carter confirmed the proper circuit and relayed the information to the damage control party. Moments later, they cut power to the water pumps that supplied fresh water to all parts forward of amidships on the port side. Moments later, the damage control officer reported the fire contained.

"Fire under control on Deck Eight, captain," Leary responded.

Cantrell looked at his chrono and raised his eyes to give Leary a look of disapproval. "Entirely too slow," he said.

The captain reset his chrono and walked to the helm station, where he spoke quietly to the helmsman. He then said calmly, "Commander Leary, initiate a direct torpedo hit on Deck Eight, near the storage compartments. Please simulate loss of hull integrity and evacuate Decks Seven and Eight."

Connor moved to comply as the captain returned to his command chair and quietly ordered the ship put into a hard port spin. Without the normal warning of the command being given and acknowledged, the rest of the bridge team was busy initiating the drill. The gravitational compensators surged momentarily as the ship pivoted hard on its axis. The bridge lighting flickered for a brief moment, and Connor and the other bridge personnel, not expecting the maneuver, fell to the deck as the ship's artificial gravity struggled to catch up with the sharp change in acceleration.