Fatal Containment - Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Colonel Jacques Pierre Beauchêne, the stern and unyielding commander of the Dominion's Marine Security detachment, and Chief Petty Officer Macey Gifford, the ship's Master at Arms, sat in the security office. The room was filled with a tense silence, broken only by the hum of the ship's engines and the occasional beep of the security monitors.

Beauchêne broke the silence, his voice low and serious. "We've been going over the evidence, Gifford. The security scans, the deactivated systems... it all points to one person."

Gifford nodded, her expression grim. "Trevor Hanson."

Beauchêne leaned back in his chair, his gaze distant. "He's one of the only three people who can deactivate the security scans. And the reactor room where Cheryl was taken captive... it was also deactivated."

Gifford frowned, her mind racing. "It could have been routine maintenance, sir."

Beauchêne shook his head. "That doesn't square with the fact that no-one was in reactor three when she was captured. I don't believe in coincidences, Gifford. Not when it comes to the security of this ship and its crew."

Gifford sighed, running a hand through her hair. "So what do we do, sir?"

Beauchêne looked at her, his gaze steady. "We do our duty, Gifford. We arrest Trevor Hanson for conspiracy to commit murder."

Gifford nodded, her expression determined. "With the captain on the station?"

Beauchêne's lips thinned into a grim line. "If he is going to strike again, this would be the most opportune time. For now, we need to ensure the safety of this ship and its crew."

With that, they rose from their seats, their resolve firm. Trevor Hanson, the ship's engineering chief, was about to be confined to the brig, awaiting the captain's judgement.

* * *

The ship's corridors were quiet, the hum of the engines the only sound echoing through the metallic walls. Beauchêne and Gifford, flanked by a squad of marines, walked side by side, their boots clanging against the steel floor. Trevor looked up as the approaching force could not be missed coming through the hatch in the engineering. The hum of the ship's engines provided a low, ominous backdrop to the confrontation as Trevor sat down his data pad and prepared his most disarming smile for the security force.

"Commander Hanson," Beauchêne began, his voice stern and authoritative. "You need to come with us."

"Colonel, Chief," he greeted, ignoring the command. "What brings you here?"

"We have reason to believe you're involved in the deaths of Maxim van Helm and Sandy Duvall, Trevor," Beauchêne said, his voice cold and hard. "This can go easy, or this can go hard," the colonel left no ambiguity for which way he preferred.

Hanson's eyes widened. "What? That's ridiculous! Based on what charges?"

Gifford stepped forward; her gaze unwavering. "The security scans in the reactor room were deactivated, Hanson. You're one of the only three people who can do that."

Hanson shook his head, his smile gone. "I didn't deactivate anything. That's completely circumstantial!"

"Save it for the captain," Beauchêne said, his tone final. "You're under arrest and relieved of duty until further notice."

"But—"

"It has to go this way, Trevor," Gifford cut in. "We can't risk any more lives. You're coming with us."

As they led Hanson away, the corridors of the ship seemed to grow even quieter, the hum of the engines a somber reminder of the danger lurking within their own ranks.