Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

I stood in the wings, my hair and makeup perfect, my knees knocking off each other like pool balls. I peeked out into the audience. There were Dean and Shauna, just like they'd promised. And over on the side were my mother and father. They sat together, yet they'd come separately. They seemed to get along just fine as friends, and I was glad for that. For just a split second, I wished they were back together, but then I pushed that thought away. I couldn't wish something for them that wasn't good for them. It hurt, and I would chop off my right arm if it could be different, but it couldn't, and I had to learn to be okay with that.

Dylan came up behind me. "How's it going?"

"Fine. Just fine. I think I'll pass out now, if that's all right with you."

He laughed. "Nope. Sorry. But you're going to be great. Just believe me, if you don't believe yourself."

I might be able to do that. It was very easy to believe him.

The first five minutes of the play, I thought I was going to die. I could feel every single pair of eyes in that entire auditorium on me, boring into me like pins. But then the magic happened. While Matthew was driving Anne home from the train station, the audience melted away, and I had fun just interacting with Todd, who was playing Matthew. This was fun, actually, and I was starting to get why Dylan liked it so much.

Then Anne met Gilbert, and the magic intensified. We did better in that first performance than we had in any of our dress rehearsals. I could practically feel Mr. Bell's approval.

When at last the play was over, it was like having to get off the roller coaster at the end of the best ride I'd ever taken. Amanda came running up and threw her arms around me, squeezing me tighter than she'd ever squeezed me before—and that was saying something.

"You were so good, I almost forgot you were Jill!" she said, taking me by the hand. "Come on—your adoring public awaits."

Oh, that's right. I'd forgotten about the receiving line—Mr. Bell had told us to line up in the lobby and shake everyone's hands after the play. I didn't want to do it, but I supposed that since I'd just survived the play, I'd also survive this.

Dylan and I stood side by side as the audience came up to greet us. Being next to him did make it easier.

"Oh, you were just wonderful," one older lady gushed. "I'm definitely coming back to your Monday performance, and I'm bringing my friends." Then she turned to Dylan and pinched his cheek. "Gilbert, you little scoundrel!"

He and I both laughed, not sure what to make of that, and I could tell he felt the same.

Dean and Shauna came through and showered us with praise—although she did not pinch Dylan's cheek—and then it was my mom and dad's turn.

"Honey, that was incredible," Mom said, hugging me tight. "You did such a great job."

Dad's eyes were shiny with unshed tears, something I wasn't used to seeing. But I knew they were tears of pride, and that meant all the world to me.

"I'm going to get a ride home with Dylan," I told them. "I need to change and then help get everything ready for the next show."

"Take whatever time you need," Mom said. "I won't stay up."

We probably stood in that reception line for another half hour, and then it was time to clean up. Dylan headed off to the boys' changing room while I headed for the girls'. Amanda unfastened my buttons, and then as soon as I was changed, she all but shoved me out the door.