Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I usually love the weekend. I stay up late on Friday and get all my weekend chores done so I can sleep in and do whatever I want to on Saturday. I read, watch movies, hang out at the mall with Amanda-yeah. I really love the weekend. But not so much this time. My dad wasn't around, and I missed his traditional Saturday morning pancakes. My mom tried to make some, and they were all right, but they weren't the same, and she was trying too hard. 

I decided that the only thing I could really do was go hang out at the library. Amanda was busy helping her mom paint the kitchen and there wasn't anyone else to call. For a split second-just a split one, mind you-I thought about calling Dylan, but then I realized I didn't have his phone number, and I also didn't want him spending the day telling me that I should be chanting peace mantras or something. So off to the library I went.  

I was able to lose myself there for a good couple of hours. Then I grabbed a cheeseburger on my way home. Then I watched a DVD. And I did everything I could not to think about how quiet it was in the basement, and how the light under the office door never came on, not even once. And then I spent Sunday asleep. It seemed like the best choice. 

*** 

I couldn't wait for Amanda to get out of French class on Monday. Neither could Dylan, apparently. We stood in the hall, watching for her, and when she finally appeared, we both bounced up and down a little bit. Yeah. It was sort of weird. 

"That was the closest call of my whole entire life," Amanda said when she reached us. "Here." She shoved a giant candy bar in Dylan's hands. "For you." 

He held it up and showed off the note. I like you a lot-let's go out and have some snickers together. "Well, I like you too, Miss Amanda. We should totally hang out together. Especially because you brought me chocolate." 

"That was for Mario." 

"I know. I'm just teasing. So . . . why did you say it was for Mario? Is he allergic or something? I mean, my gain, so I'm not complaining." Dylan tore the end off the wrapper and took a giant bite.  

"I'm so humiliated." Amanda leaned up against the wall. "I walked up to him, all ready to hand him the candy bar and tell him how I feel, right? He was talking to someone else, and just as I got there, I heard him mention his boyfriend. Yeah, that's right. And there go all my dreams of us being together." 

"Oh, wow. That's too bad." I reached out and touched her shoulder. 

"I'm just so glad that I overheard that before I said anything. Think how bad it would have been if I'd blurted out my little 'I like you' speech and then he had to tell me. It was better this way, but still. He's the only guy I've liked this whole year, and he would be completely out of reach." 

"It's not like he was your last chance," Dylan said. He tossed the empty wrapper into the trash can behind him. "You're totally cute. Just look around-I bet there are tons of guys here who'd love to go out with you." 

Amanda snorted. "Doubtful. But you're sweet." She sighed as we started down the hallway. "I don't want anyone to know about this, okay? It's our little secret." 

"Deal," I said, and Dylan nodded. 

I didn't see Bruce at lunch, and I didn't see him in the hallways. I saw Colby . . . and worshipped Colby . . . from afar, of course, because that's really the only way you can do anything with Colby. I spent about ten minutes trying to decide if I should just give up my obsession. After all, it wasn't getting me anywhere-no matter what I did, he was just as oblivious as ever. I could be spending my time and my energy in much more productive ways. But as soon as I began to imagine what my world would be like without my daydreams of Colby, I almost had a panic attack. It was definitely too soon to lay that dream to rest.