CHAPTER 23-ALYA

The way to her dorm seemed longer than usual, with Nyx trailing behind Alya in solemn silence of the passage—the intimidating calm before the storm and the weight of it. Neither of them had spoken a word. Alya glanced back at her friend, only to find her staring with those odd silver eyes, her face into a grim expression.

"Sulking Nyx or battle ready Nyx," Alya broke the silence as they approached the door to her cabin. The weight of the hush was too much to bear. "I can't decide which one is scarier."

"Do you realize how dangerous it is out there?" Nyx slid into the room behind Alya and let the door close with a snik.

"I know. Besides, Rowan and Parker will be there. We can pull through, Nyx." Even though she said the words, she knew their chances were slim. They weren't just kicking the hornet's nest, they were blowing it up.

They both sat on Alya's bed, the soft comforter a cushion beneath them. It wasn't much, but the comforter reminded her of her mother; how she always tucked Alya in and the feather down blanket would poof out above her.

"Ah, that reminds me... about a certain rebel." Nyx's lips parted in a grin. "Watch his back, not his butt."

She didn't just say that! Alya lunged to grab her pillow before Nyx could snatch it away, and smacked her friend. "Should I start talking about a certain captain, and the way a certain someone stares at his butt?"

Nyx grabbed the pillow and laughed, but the laugh died as soon as it had broken through her face. She fell backwards onto the quilt, her silver-white hair a halo around her head. "Remember the time we first met?" she muttered under her breath, staring up at the celling. Alya followed her gaze. "I was a crybaby new recruit, and you were the stuck up girl no one wanted to talk to"

Alya could only smile at that—at those old, treasured memories of adolescence friendship. They have changed so much in the past years, hardened into different people. Nyx wasn't always the hot headed girl Alya knew now, she had been shy and meek; easily bullied by the older recruits. And Alya herself... she had wanted to impress everyone so badly that she shunned them instead. Everyone thought she was a stuck up, spoiled princess. It wasn't until she befriended Nyx, who taught her to open up herself, to become more amiable, that she started to make any other friends.

"What happens after this Al?" Nyx asked quietly. "Where do we go?"

Alya didn't know how to answer such a bold, honest question. She didn't even know what awaited her later if she survived the mission. It was like they were standing on the precipice of a cliff, the daunting moment before jumping into the bleak unknown. There were so many different outcomes, it was impossible to predict. They might face court martial or...Alya couldn't bear to continue the thought.

"I don't know, Nyx," she eventually said. "All I know is that we'll have to trust Zion, follow where he leads us."

Nyx gave a slight nod, then looked up at Alya. "Promise me that you'll come back?" Her silver eye had glazed over. They'd been friends for so long and she'd never seen Nyx so distraught.

Alya worked out the lump forming in her throat. It chocked her. Taking in a slow, deep breath, Alya looked up at her friend. She couldn't let her emotions weaken her...not now. If she broke down, it would break Nyx. They couldn't let their emotions get in the way; not when their lives were on the line.

"I promise." Alya forced an assuring smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. She hated making promises she couldn't keep, and she didn't know if she could keep this one. "Don't you have to gear up and help Jorrit?" It was best to send Nyx away. If she lingered any longer, Alya wouldn't be able to hold the dam from breaking.