CHAPTER 12-PARKER

Zion slammed Parker into the wall around the corner and released his grip on Parker's collar to point a finger at him. "Do not mess this up."

Parker rotated his shoulder, eyeing the corridor they were in now. Doors were embedded into the walls, lining all the way down, and farther. They must have been for the crew's quarters. Other ships, with larger crews would have bunks in the belly of the ship.

"You know. Ever since you and your fancy crew showed up, I've been thrown around a lot lately-more than usual, and that's saying something. Maybe you should hold back on all the abuse-"

"I seriously don't have time for your sarcastic bullshit." Zion pulled his hand back and curled it into a fist at his side. "I won't be put in a situation caused by harboring a prisoner-a fugitive."

"I'm not an idiot." Parker scowled. Did everyone really think he was some lunkhead, throwing his weight around?

With a heavy sigh, Zion forced his shoulders down, and seemed to try and calm himself. It seemed like everyone on this ship have a serious temper problem. "I've put you in the system as a newly recruited technician."

"Wow. I moved up the ranks pretty quick. I'm surprised you didn't put me as a janitor." Parker crossed his arms, he felt safer with his arms halfway up to be able to block his face.

"I would've if I didn't have to keep my eye on you all the time. This way, you'll be in the crew that goes off the ship."

Parker nestled that little bit of knowledge away for later. Zion ran a hand through his hair. He didn't seem like the type of person used to breaking the rules. He'd be stupid if he wasn't nervous. It was one thing to have an ex-rebel convict on your ship, it was a whole other thing to bring one to the President of Arsania's front door.

"So, does this mean I get a spiffy uniform too?"

Zion's lip curled up, but he nodded. "It would look suspicious if you were walking around in that." He wafted a hand at Parker's outfit. Obvious prison pants and a dirty, black long sleeved t-shirt the guards forced him to wear to cover up his scars. It looked like he'd been dragged through the garbage pit and dumped in a waste bin.

Parker shifted. "What about an ERG?"

"I think that's obvious." Zion's eyes flashed, dangerously.

With a shrug, Parker relaxed against the wall. He didn't want to push too hard just yet. He'd take what he could get. It was a risky question anyway, but still... "That's fine. You can just tell everyone I'll protect the council member with my witty charms and handsome face. They'd believe that."

The look Zion gave him promised pain if he kept up the attitude. He wasn't nearly as amused as Parker was about this situation. His jaw worked, his teeth gnashed together. Finally, he said, "We'll see what happens when we get there."

Parker didn't let the smile touch his lips.

Zion spun away and clicked open a compartment in the wall. The door slid up, revealing shelves of uniforms, finely pressed and folded. It must have been a chute that lead to the launder. He skimmed the sizes and plucked out a pair of pants, a black undershirt and a jacket that matched the pants. He tossed the clothes at Parker, who caught them easily. "Get cleaned up and changed, we don't need you catching more attention that you already have."

"Oh, my face and biceps tend to do that."

Zion ignored his comment. "Your room is that one." He pointed to the door right across from the one with 'Captain' next to it. "The lock won't work."