CHAPTER 5-ALYA

Before Alya or any of the other Hawks could react, Parker broke into a sprint.

         "He's right." Alya cast a sidelong look at the direction Parker went. "There's so many people in those cells. We can't leave them to die." Her voice took on a high pitch. She swallowed, trying to calm down.

        "We don't have much time, Al," Rowan hissed though gritted teeth, adjusting his hold around a stricken Nyx. "If you're thinking about chasing that scum..."

        "Their lives are our responsibility now, Rowan." Alya snapped. "If we let them die, we may end up court marshalled. Besides, those prisoners—especially Parker—could help us with our investigation. It's our only shot."

        "But—" Rowan begun, but Zion cut him off with a raise of his hand.

         "Don't waste your time arguing," Zion said, already starting in the direction Parker went. "Rowan, get Nyx to the ship, and tell Kaz to get ready for launch. Al, follow me. We don't have much time."

        For a moment, Rowan looked flabbergasted, then he frowned and scooped Nyx into his arms. "Aye, Captain." He strode off towards the docking bay.

        Nyx shot a concerned glance over Rowan's broad shoulder before they vanished around a corner. Alya, nearly stumbled over her feet to match Zion's long gait as she rushed after him.

        They reached the nearest elevator, and Zion pushed the button a few times before slamming his hand against the elevator door. The light wasn't on. "Damn," he cursed. "We need to take the stairs."

        Without wasting another second, they bolted for the stairs. It was a straight stairway with steep treads, a double railing and thee landings to the prison floor.

        "What actually happened?" she asked, as they hit the first landing, skipping two or three steps at a time. "I thought you and Nyx went to—"

        "Turned out it was a trap," Zion said, pounding down after her. "All you need to know now is we don't have much time before the place explodes. If we survive, I'll tell you the rest."

        Alya's breathe hitched, panic flaring in her chest, but she didn't let it slow her down. Dying shouldn't worry her, for she had chosen the path of being a Hawk herself. Any day could be her last, she wouldn't regret it. Ever.

        As they nearly reached the prison corridor, the prison lurched, the dim lights lining the celling sparked. Zion grabbed Alya's arm in a tight grip before she hit the floor, his other hand clasping the railing.

        "You okay?" he asked, steadying himself.

        Alya nodded. Her knees were still shaking, though she didn't show it on her face. Before they could fully regain their stance, a screeching of metal grated through the passageway. Alya's eyes flitted to the sliding door at the bottom of the stairs.

        The door was closing.

        A scream swelled in her throat, but before it came out, Zion barreled past her, with such speed that her ponytail whipped forward with him. Just as the door was about to close fully he threw himself between the two panels. He gripped both the sides and tried to push them apart, but they barely budged. His face scrunched, his muscles were taut as wound wires, sweat beaded on his brows. He wouldn't be able to hold the door for long. And time was running out. 

        Alya darted, aiming to fling herself though the tiny gap, but reaching the bottom step, she halted. A fire extinguisher on the right wall! She spun on her heel, and kicked out. Her boot hit the glass box, breaking it into splinters. Alya grabbed the cylinder in both hands, and shoved it horizontally between the panels, as high as she could reach. If it slipped out, their only way of escape would be gone. They would be trapped down there with the prisoners, in a floating prison that was going to explode.