CHAPTER 7-ALYA

The next few moments were a blur. So fast, Alya could hardly get a grasp on it. She was sitting over Parker, her knee digging into his back, and the syringe in her hand that had made a dent through this neck. That would keep him silent. For now.

        As soon as Parker stopped moving, Zion stood and pressed the speak button on the comm. "Kaz, get us out of here. Now!" He turned and pointed to Rowan. "Get to the deck, on blasters in case the exit gets blocked and we have to blow our way out."

        Rowan gave a curt nod and dashed up the stairs. Kaz's voice announced from the intercoms, "launching now, Captain." His voice was as calm as if this were just a drill, and not a life or death situation. No wonder Zion chose him as pilot; he knew how to keep his cool.

            The Kerostasia lifted with a jerk that almost made Alya lose her footing. "Everyone, bury your heads in your knees," She screamed over the roar of engine. "Brace Yourselves!"

        All the prisoners threw themselves to the floor, obeying the order instantly; reflexively. The older man—Joksar grabbed the kid Alya had released in one hand and tucked him beneath his body to protect him from harm.

        A hush befell around them, ominous fear laden the air, interrupted only by the heavy breathing of men waiting for their death—or life. Only time would decide. The hangar raced by as the exit came at them, fast.

        Parker's body slid on the floor like a rag doll, and without thinking Alya flung herself over his limp body, bracing him in her arms so he wouldn't be smashed into the walls as the ship careened forward with a violent lurch.

        Not even in her worst nightmares, had Alya experienced fear like this. Her ears rang with screams and screeching of metal that sent her nerves on edge. She held onto Parker with all her strength as explosions from outside rocked the ship, the blast of the Mellowmont propelling them through the rubble. She lifted her face, and saw people sliding across the floor, wailing and grabbing for anything they could. Zion was hanging onto the railing of the staircase with one hand, with other he held a prisoner's arm so he wouldn't fall and hit his head.

        Alya eyes flitted to the small window embedded into the cargo bay airlock door. The world outside was caught in flame—a ferocious orange beast ready to swallow the vast blackness.

        The ship shuddered around them. Dread curdled her blood, biting her insides with its sharp teeth. For a moment, Alya thought it would combust and roast them alive in its belly. All their effort, all the lives they saved, all been for nothing.

        The lights overhead flickered erratically and Alya thought it was over. She would die in the fiery embrace of the Kerostasia, and her ashes would drift into the abyss of space.

        And then, suddenly, the jerking stopped. The ship levelled out, and sailed smoothly through space, leaving all the destruction behind. Alya slowly released Parker from her grip and looked around to make sure everyone was all right. People groaned and picked themselves up off the floor—a few had bumps, bruises, and someone had hit their head, leaving a small gash on their forehead, but besides that, everyone seemed fine. Across from her, Zion was helping the prisoners to their feet.

        Rowan came barreling down the stairs and almost fell over the railing as he halted to a stop. "Nobody panic. I've saved us all."

        Alya ignored him, laid Parker on the floor and stood up, her eyes fixed on her captain for his next instruction. Zion called over the comm, "Status?"

        A second later, Kaz's voice echoed over the announcement. "We made it out of harm's way. No significant damage to the ship."

        Zion let out a breath of relief. "All right, Kaz, keep her going steady. Jorrit, you get in contact with HQ?"