CHAPTER 11-ALYA

CHAPTER 11-ALYA

​ Alya's first instinct was to leap into her father's arm, like a bird out of cage. Hell, she knew it was just a holographic presence, but... it had been nearly three years since she'd last visited her planet; three years since she'd reveled in the warmth of home, the comfort of her father's arms.

Despite her father wearing a professional façade, Alya knew he was feeling the same. It was in the way he leaned forward, just a little, as if eager to reach out. But his hands stayed clasped before him, just as her's were clasped behind her.

"Captain Géroux," her father acknowledged Zion, then to her, "Lieutenant." He gave her a nod. His eyes glossed over, and his mouth crinkled at the corner. A small notion, but Alya could see how proud her father was of her.

"President Nayar," Zion took a step forward, and straitened his posture, at attention. "We weren't expecting a call. Is something wrong? Do you require me to send lieutenant Nayar back to planet Arsania?"

For a moment, she wished that was the reason he had called for. A sudden hope to visit her planet fluttered in her chest.

"Please Captain," her father flicked a hand in a dismissive manner, "Everything is perfectly fine here. I simply wanted your crew as an added precaution to the usual security for my upcoming speech the day after tomorrow." He paused for a moment. "Are you by chance in the area?" ​ ​

Alya's breathing slowed. Even if the call wasn't personally meant for her, the tiny hope she had nursed still breathed in her chest. She turned to her captain expectantly.

"It would be our utmost pleasure to serve you, President Nayar. The Hawks will soon be at your disposal."

Zion must have been a mind reader in his past life, Alya thought. Arania wasn't far out of the way, but the Hawks had a convict on board. He knows how much it would mean to her to see her father after so long.

"We just needed to make a stop to refuel our ship, we can make it there by tomorrow afternoon."

At that, Vikram Nayar deflated a breath; his shoulders sagged ever so slightly. "You have no idea Captain, how much this eases my mind."

Alya smiled to herself, satisfied, as she watched her father converse with Zion. They were going over the coordinates and timing details.

"Baby's going home to daddy," Rowan whispered behind her. "Lucky you."

Alya rolled her eyes, and resisted the urge to smack him on the arm. Rowan was always teasing her about one thing or another. Like an annoying older brother she never had. He had only joined the academy because his mother was supposedly pestering him to do something better with his life, instead of being a hired mercenary. She kept her expression neutral. "Why, are you jealous?" Her lip twitched up slightly.

Before Rowan could come up with a retort, the president began speaking to the group again, "If I might make a suggestion," he paused and traded a sidelong glance with Alya. "I would like to have the Hawks as my guests of honor. It will also grant your crew a good cover during the campaign and free access to the entire estate."