True Fear

We all fear things, but can we say that we have experienced true fear?

Imagine this example. You are downstairs, sitting on your computer, when the news comes on the TV. You sit and watch intently as the newscaster tells you the scores of your favorite sporting events, and the average cutesy story followed by news on how the politicians have messed up.

You are about to go to bed when the news comes back on. The subjects have changed completely. Now, they're talking about riots caused by a massive breakout at the local prison; murderers, rapists, and madmen are free and are roaming the town.

You hear noises outside, and you duck down instinctively. Then, you turn off the TV and computer followed by all the lights so as not to attract the attention of the people outside.

You head upstairs, moving quickly past your glass front door. But as you rush through the hall, you see the outlines of people slowly walking up your driveway. You hold your breath and sprint up the stairs, then run into your room, pull the curtains shut and leap into your bed, hiding under the covers. You bury your head into the pillow and cry softly, praying that it will be over soon, reassuring yourself over and over. And yet something is persistently nagging at your composure.

You suddenly sit bolt-upright as you hear a faint noise. Then at that exact moment, it dawns on you--the most horrific realization you could imagine--and you finally understand. You finally experience true fear as you sweat in the silent darkness of your bedroom.

You didn't lock the door.